tonic water & club Soda
Is Tonic Water bad for you? Tonic Water Side Effects Diet, Quinine & Fattening
What are the side effects, cons disadvantages of drinking tonic water? How safe is it especially during pregnancy? Is tonic water fattening or does it make you gain weight? Is the quinine in tonic water bad for you? Is Slimline and Diet Tonic Water bad for you? Read on to find out. Also find out tips and ideas on how to prevent the bad effects of tonic water.
How is Tonic Water bad for you? Is Tonic Water fattening or Safe during Pregnancy?
- How is Tonic Water bad for you? Is Tonic Water fattening or Safe during Pregnancy?
- Diet Tonic Water Side Effects-Is Diet Tonic Water bad for you?
- Quinine Tonic Water Side Effects-Is Quinine in Tonic Water Bad for you?
- Is Slimline Tonic Water bad for you?
- Tips to prevent the bad effects of tonic Water
- Carbonated Water-Club Soda, Seltzer & Sparkling Mineral Water
- Regular Drinking Water
Just like any other drink (beverages and alcoholic drinks), tonic water could be having bad effects. Inasmuch as tonic water is commonly used as a mixer in gins and vodka including the slime tonic and diet tonic as well could pose potential dangers –side effects- to your health.
While you go about at your local bar or restaurant enjoying tonic water it is important to know the dangers associated with drinking it too much on your health. Just like any other drink, tonic water could be a danger either influencing fattening or a hazard to your pregnancy.
How is drinking too much tonic water bad for you?
Too much intake of tonic water could be having serious effects to some people –not all. Tonic water has quinine chemical component in it. Too much consumption means an increase of quinine which some people are sensitive to. The reported case of a few unlucky individuals includes bleeding.
Tonic water is known to have high fructose corn syrup as one of the ingredients. Too much intake could be a cause of weight gain. This makes you prone to diabetes and other health related conditions such as cancer and high blood pressure.
Is tonic water fattening?
Increase in weight has been found to cause health related conditions such as heart attack, stroke, diabetes, some form of cancer, breathing difficulties among others. Any additional more weight (at least 20%) than what is considered as normal for your height is considered risky.
While solid foods are commonly the prime source of calories and fat intake, liquids and drinks you take in can also affect your weight gain to a shocking extent. According to Dana James, a certified dietician nutritionist and the founder of Food Coach NYC, people do not take into account what they drink. If you realize how much you are consuming from beverages then you are able to tell how much weight you will add.
Most of the drinks we take daily including tonic water have added sugar and studies point out that they contribute to weight gain and type 2 diabetes. In fact calories from drinks may influence fattening more than the calories from food.
Tonic water has more of the added sugar usually the high fructose corn syrup which contributes to weight gain. The added sugar in tonic water contributes to about 32 grams of carbohydrate from a 12 ounce per serving and 124 calories. According to American Heart association, beverage that exceeds 6-to -9 teaspoon is not recommended. Tonic water has about 8 teaspoon of added sugar for every serving which pass the limit recommended.
Is tonic water safe during pregnancy?
Taking tonic water during pregnancy can be fatal and should be avoided. Most pregnant mothers usually get leg cramps during especially during their later stages. Studies have shown that they resort to tonic water as home remedy to ease the pain oblivious of the risk they are putting themselves into.
Tonic water contain quinine as it s key ingredient. According to Professor Dr.Andreas Hensel (the president of BfR) the enjoyment of quinine –containing beverages might not cause any risk for most people, regular in take can be harmful to some. He continues by specifying that pregnant women should avoid such beverages for precautionary reasons. However, tonic water is known to have regulated amount of quinine (indicated on the nutritional Fact labels) which may not have severe reaction unless you are sensitive to it.
Diet Tonic Water Side Effects-Is Diet Tonic Water bad for you?
Diet tonic water is carbonated drink which are generally calorie free and considered to be healthy probably a suitable replacement of regular tonic water. Most consumers prefer it to maintain a healthy weight pattern. Switching to diet tonic water might not guarantee you the safety at all. One study found out that daily intake of diet soft drink is linked to an increase risk of stroke. Consuming too much of diet tonic water has a way of influencing the brain’s ability to assess the amount of calories consumed hence causing one to eat more.
Quinine Tonic Water Side Effects-Is Quinine in Tonic Water Bad for you?
Too much intake of quinine exposes your body to potential risks. The consumption of tonic drinks lead to a build of quinine in your body. So, how is quinine unsafe for your body? Some people are sensitive to quinine thus experiencing allergic reactions.
Quinine can also cause a condition known as cinchonism/quinism: is a pathological condition that is brought by an overdose of quinidine or from it s natural source (cinchona bark).
Another shocking condition as a result of quinine is the hearing impairment. Studies related to the use of quinine link it to hearing distortion which could be in severe cases being permanent and irreversible.
Some other side effects of quinine include:
- Irregular heart beat
- Sometimes unusual bleeding may occur (thrombocytopenia)
- Fever and in some cases fatigue
- Visual problems, blurry visions
- Skin rash or allergic reactions.
- Too much consumption of quinine in tonic water may cause diarrhea ,nausea, stomach upset, vomiting.
However, the use of quinine in health sector has been limited by the FDA. This should not stop you from ordering your favorite gin and tonic just in case you find yourself in a bar.
Is Slimline Tonic Water bad for you?
This is a type of carbonated tonic water drink that is calorie –free with the same taste of that regular tonic water? Owing to zero sugar content, some consumers prefer combining it with alcoholic drinks or taking it on its own. For weight loss, it has gained popularity as it adds no calorie at all and therefore a sure way of cutting down the intake of sugar. This has health benefit as it helps tonic water fan to keep away from type 2 diabetes.
Little or no reported cases of the side effects are known from consumption of slimline tonic water.
Tips to prevent the bad effects of tonic Water
Who said that taking tonic water should come with side effects? If you only exercise a little caution the next time you find yourself in a bar then tonic water should be enjoyable.
To avoid the risks associated with tonic water, consider these secrets:
- Avoid taking too much tonic water. You certainly do not want to end up diabetic. Too much sugar in take has been found to be the root cause of type 2 diabetes. You should instead take as low as possible. Or rather try getting used to diet tonic waters if you find yourself addictive to sugars.
- Taking tonic water during pregnancy is not safe at all. However, if you have to drink make sure the consumption is as low as possible. If you find it hard, drink with the authorization of a doctor.
More Interesting and informative articles on Tonic Water
- Tonic Water vs Club Soda-What is the difference between Tonic Water and Club soda? Are they the same?
- Best Tonic Water Drinks & Brands, Reviews + Where to Find/ Buy
- Tonic Water for Leg Cramps-Is Tonic Water good & does it help at Night and during Pregnancy?
- Tonic Water Nutrition Facts-How Many Carbs, Much Sugar, Minerals, Vitamins & Proteins
- Tonic Water Calories-How many Calories in Diet, Slime line Tonic Water- Gin & Vodka?
- Tonic Water Ingredients-Quinine, Canada Dry, Diet, Fever Free & Schweppes
Carbonated Water-Club Soda, Seltzer & Sparkling Mineral Water
Learn more about other types, brands of carbonated water.
Club Soda Water
- What is club Soda -Water? Ingredients and How to Make Recipes
- Is Club Soda Bad or Good for you? Health Benefits & Side Effects
- Club Soda Nutrition, Calories, Carbs Facts -Vodka & Schweppes
- Club Soda vs Seltzer vs Sparkling Mineral vs Tonic Water-Differences & Similarities
Sparkling Mineral Water
- Best Sparkling Water Brands List: Flavored, Italian, French, Perrier & how to choose
- Is Sparkling Water Bad/ Good for you? Benefits of Sparkling Mineral Water + Side Effects
Regular Drinking Water
- Facts About Drinking Water-Health, Unsafe, Interesting, Economics, Nutrition
- Can / Does Drinking Water Help you Lose Weight? Calculate How Much Water for Weight Loss &Tips
- The Benefits of Drinking Water- Weight Loss, Skin, Hair & Health
- Drinking Too Much Water – Can You Die? Side Effects & Symptoms