You might have heard about Methylsulfonylmethane or MSM. The chemical compound found in plants, animals and also in the body of human beings. It can also be produced in the laboratory, but do you ever wonder how it benefits your health? How it fights the skin problems and aids in weight loss? It’s also used in the treatment of joint pains and cancer. Read on to discover more about the health benefits of MSM.
What is MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)?
- What is MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)?
- What is MSM good for? MSM Health Benefits & What it does for your Body
- MSM Dosage -How much MSM to take for Humans?
- MSM Skin Uses-Benefits of MSM for Skin & Acne Scars
- MSM Weight Loss Benefits-Is MSM good for Weight loss?
- MSM for Arthritis-Joints Pain
- MSM Cancer- Uses and Benefits of MSM for Cancer
- Other Health Benefits of MSM
- Sources and References
Methylsulfonylmethane can be clinically defined as an organosulfur compound that is filled with several health benefits. Available as a dietary supplement, MSM is also popular in other names like methyl sulfone, DMSO2 and dimethyl sulfone.
It is chemically inert and colorless. The chemical formula is C2H6O2S. The solid body of it features the sulfonyl functional group which is usually found in the primitive plants. Apart from the plants, animals and in some foods and beverages, MSM is also commonly found in the atmosphere above marine areas, where it is used as a carbon source by the airborne bacteria Afipia. You can surely spot it distinctively in human melanoma cells.
What is MSM good for? MSM Health Benefits & What it does for your Body
According to Stanley W. Jacob, M.D., of Oregon Health Sciences University, MSM is highly beneficial for the general well-being of human body. From curing several critical and chronic diseases, methylsulfonylmethane offers perfect cure to various skin problems and weight gain. Here’s how it benefits your body.
- Energy- Methylsulfonylmethane or MSM increases the permeability of the cells and thus boost the natural energy in the human body that fights with toxin accumulation. The optimum energy production develops immunity and provides necessary healing. MSM supplements easily absorb the nutrients and thus energy utilization for digestion is significantly reduced.
- Detox- MSM aids in the detoxification of cells by increasing its permeability. The well-permeated cells can effectively flush out toxins and fluids. The mechanism facilitates the accumulation of essential nutrients into your system and thus boosts the overall functioning of the cell membranes. The result is improved immunity.
- Sulfur- Sulfur comes with preventive properties. At the same time, it’s a rich source of amino acids, which are considered as the basic building blocks of protein. While improving your immunity, it provides optimum nutrition to the human body. It promotes synthesis of collagen that is required for the overall health and maintenance of the skin, nails and hair. MSM can be consumed with food as well as in terms of dietary supplements.
- Healing- MSM, being the rich source of Vitamin C aids in quick healing from sun burn and wind damage. Also, it enhances tissue pliability and encourage repair of damaged skin. It also helps curing blisters, wounds and more chronic ailments like joint pains, eye inflammation, periodontal disease, wounds, cuts, and abrasions/accelerated wound healing.
MSM Dosage -How much MSM to take for Humans?
MSM is the organic form of Sulphur and its optimal dosage usually depends on the nature and intensity of the disease. As the clinicians prescribe, it’s sufficient to take an initial dose of three 1-gram tablets twice daily. However, for children under ten, the dosage comes down to one tablet twice daily. The thumb of rule is that you should not consume it in high dosage unless you have any serious ailments that require MSM only to get treated. Remember that MSM dosages are subject to change as needs arise and one should stay tuned to it for the maximum benefit.
MSM Skin Uses-Benefits of MSM for Skin & Acne Scars
How good is MSM for treating acne scars and your overall skin health? Several studies have been conducted to determine the effectiveness of MSM in fighting acne scars, wrinkles and improving skin health. One study, titled Effects of Oral Supplementation with Methylsulfonylmethane on Skin Health and Wrinkle Reduction, published in the Natural Journal of Medicine found out that MSM regulates the genomic expression of key genes responsible for skin health and the prevention of aging. Here is how MSM improves your skin health.
- MSM Cream for acne Scars
MSM creams are highly effective for treating acne scars, say the clinicians and dermatologists. Though methylsulfonylmethane is not the perfect treat for your skin, regular use of this organic compound brings visible improvement to your skin. The sulfur and Vitamin C, D3, E and aloe extracts of the MSM cream detoxify the epidermis layer and thus removes any kind of scars that are formed from the skin ailments like acne. Also, these are anti-inflammatory, hence, it prevents the growth of inflammation due to acne in future.
- MSM Skin lightening & Tightening
MSM products, be it soap, cream or lotion work wonders to fight against saggy skin. The sulfur can effortlessly penetrate to the several layers of epidermis and thus keeps it hydrated for a longer period of time. For the dry skin that loses elasticity, it works wonder. Since it makes skin more permeable, it can easily absorb nutrients and moisture. No doubt the skin stays effortlessly tight and supple.
Sulfur in MSM works well in synergy with various lighting agents that we usually apply on our skin. The result is quick fading of the dark spots, pink freckles and acne spots. It enables brightening products to better penetrate into the skin. Also, it works toward removing uneven skin spots.
- MSM supplement benefits for Skin rash
MSM is popularly called “nature’s beauty mineral”, which comes with ingredients like collagen and keratin, which are beneficial for nails and hair and at the same time speed up the healing of skin rash. MSM prevents dry skin (which is the key reason behind the development of rashes) and maintains the elasticity of the skin, which further prevents any kind of skin eruptions.
MSM Weight Loss Benefits-Is MSM good for Weight loss?
Several clinical trials have been done extensively on human beings as well as animals to evaluate the efficiency of MSM for weight loss. However, the pilot clinical trials that are mentioned in The MSM Miracle: Enhance Your Health with Organic Sulfur,” by Earl L. Mindell, (R.PH., Ph.D) prove that MSM has exceptional benefit for weight loss.
- How MSM is used for weight loss
A consistent use of MSM aids in weight loss and you can take it in pill form, powder form, crystal form, or flake form. MSM plays a key role in insulin production and maintain the blood-sugar levels effectively. Quite obviously, it acts positively on the energy levels and carbohydrate metabolism, thus having an indirect effect on weight loss. MSM can help making people more active by reducing pain. Hence, you do not actually put on much weight due to the increased physical activity.
- MSM powder for weight loss
MSM or methylsulfonylmethane, when consumed in the powder form is actually healthy. The natural process by which it helps dropping those extra pounds surely improves your general overall health also. MSM is organic sulfur and it is not packed with an overdose of vitamins and minerals. Quite obviously you get a natural energy boost that also increases your inclination towards optimum physical activity. The result is fast weight loss.
MSM for Arthritis-Joints Pain
MSM delivers sulfur in a useable way and hence it helps relieving arthritis and joint pain in the following way.
- Sulfur maintains the healthy structure of connective tissue by forming cross-linkages through disulfide bonds
- Sulfur provides natural strength to the tissues that make up the joint.
- Sulfur provides good bonding of the Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) molecules, which are fundamental for building blocks of joint cartilage.
- Regular consumption of MSM helps making cartilage firm and resilient. Many orthopedic doctors are of the opinion that the cartilage integrity is a sulfur-dependent state.
- MSM helps producing glucosamine and collagen, which aids in the growth of healthy bones.
- It helps forming new joint and muscle tissue
MSM Cancer- Uses and Benefits of MSM for Cancer
When it comes to the alternative treatment therapy of cancer, MSM plays an important role. According to Webster Kehr, MSM has been proved exceptionally beneficial for treating gastrointestinal cancer. Sulfur of Methylsulfonylmethane actually drives away all toxins from the body that inhibits breast cancer growth. In fact, MSM substantially decreased the feasibility of human breast cancer cells in a dose-dependent manner. According to Craig Stellpflug, a Cancer Nutrition Specialist, MSM is an activator of thiamine, vitamin C, biotin and pantothenic acid, all of which are extremely beneficial in preventing cancer. For the breast cancer, it’s a miracle cure.
Other Health Benefits of MSM
Apart from providing exceptional cure to cancer, arthritis and joint pain, MSM offers other health benefits as well.
- MSM rebuilds the lining of the damaged digestive tract and aids in proper digestion
- It also improves leaky gut syndrome
- MSM is anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic. It helps treating skin discoloration, allergies, wound, and reducing redness and inflammation due to rosacea.
- The collagen and keratin elements in MSM also helps making nails and hair strong
- MSM has necessary antioxidants, including vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin A, which builds new and healthy skin cells
MSM has enormous health benefits. From treating skin rashes, acne and stubborn blemishes to weight loss and joint pain, MSM provides exceptional benefits when used in the right amounts. Even in cases of serious disease like cancer, Methylsulfonylmethane is considered as a potent remedy. However, before consuming MSM, it’s important to consult with your physician and follow the recommended dosage.
Sources and References