Castor Oil for Acne Scars, Before and After & Reviews
How good is castor oil for acne, acne scars treatment? Is it good for oily skin? What do reviews say about the use of castor oil to heal pimple and acne spots? Read on find out in addition to before and after pictures, best castor oil products for skin and ideas on what to combine with this oil for best results
- Castor Oil for Acne-What’s link between Castor Oil and Acne
- Castor Oil for Acne Scars/Spots
- Castor Oil for Acne Before and After Pictures Results
- Castor Oil for Acne Reviews & Best Products
- Castor Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Acne
- Zinc and Castor Oil Ointment for Acne
- Does Castor Oil Cause Acne? Side Effects & Safety
What properties of castor oil makes it good for acne treatment?
The usefulness of castor oil is based on several of its properties. It generally has a role of extracting all the dirt, dead skin cells, bacteria, excess oil and other impurities then unclogs the pores. Some of the properties are as follows:
Antibacterial and antiviral: the triglycerides found in the oil help to fight the skin infections. The accumulation bacteria and viruses in the pores are responsible for the formation of acne.
Dispersant: when the oil is hydrogenated, it forms the base of a common dispersant in water, making it a great carrier for essential oils in bath oils.
Moisturizing: the triglycerides that are present in castor oil help it to restore the skins natural moisture balance, making it a perfect ingredient for dry skin
Improves texture: castor oil contains a large amount of linoleic and oleic acid, which are the two wonderful fatty acids for softening and smoothing a dry and patched skin.
It is non comedogenic: it has low comedogenic scale and therefore will not congest the pores, making it one of the best choices for acne.
The oil is above all hydrating. It works as a natural humectant, pulling moisture from the air and trapping it close the skin tissues.
How is it used for acne treatment on oily skin?
The use of the oil can be in terms of simple procedures that you can undertake on a daily basis. You can use castor oil as a lone agent or reinforce its usefulness by combining it with another oil to have stronger properties. The procedure below is key:
- Clean the affected area thoroughly with mild soap.
- Steam your face for few minutes to open up the skins pores.
- Apply a small amount of castor oil all over the affected skin before bed.
- Massage gently for a few minutes so the oil penetrates deep into the skin.
- Leave on overnight and wash off the next morning.
- Repeat this process twice a day.
- Or you can also apply castor oil on scars and wrap with a plastic wrap. Then place a hot water bottle on it to for about 20 – 25 minutes.
This remedy can be used for a period of about 10 to 14 days. You should do this before you go to sleep at night.
Castor oil combined with vitamin E and D
This is used to improve the appearance of the scars. The procedure below is essential:
- Extract the oils from one vitamin E and D capsules.
- Add 4 – 5 drops of castor oil in it and mix it well.
- Apply this on the affected skin and massage gently for a few minutes.
- Leave for few minutes and Wash it off with water.
- Repeat regularly.
A combination of castor oil with St John’s wort
This combination helps to reduce the scars effectively. The procedure is as follows:
- Mix 2 to 3 drops of wort oil in 2 tablespoons of castor oil.
- Apply on the affected skin, massaging gently for a few minutes.
- Repeat the same process twice a day.
Castor oil mixed with shear butter
This used to heal old acne scars on the skin. The procedure is as below:
- Mix castor oil with Shea butter.
- Apply this on the acne scars and massage gently for a few minutes.
- Leave overnight and wash off the next morning.
- Follow this process regularly.
Castor Oil for Acne Scars/Spots
Other than acne/pimples, how does castor oil help acne scars?
Castor oil mixed with lemon can be used to lighten skin and reduce the occurrence of scars. To use it, follow the procedure below:
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of fresh lemon juice and castor oil.
- Apply on the affected areas and leave for a few minutes to dry.
- Before washing, massage the skin with 2 tablespoons of curd or green gram flour for 2 minutes.
- Wash off with water and dry the skin.
Castor oil used together with grape seed can be useful in doing away with acne scars. Use it as follows:
- Mix equal quantities of castor oil and grapeseed oil and apply on the scars.
- Massage gently for a few minutes to spread the oil evenly.
- Leave it on for few hours to overnight, then wash off thoroughly with water.
- Pat the skin dry and repeat the same process regularly.
This procedure should be repeated as many times as you can so as to get the best resolution of your skin.
How can you use it for acne spots?
There are so many ways you can do this. One of the ways is the steam method. Under this, you are supposed to treat the acne affected area with steaming water. The steps are as follows:
- Get sufficient water in a large saucepan and then put it over heat. Ensure it boils then put your face near the steaming water in the next steps
- Get a clean towel
- Lean over the steaming water of the saucepan and cover your entire head with a towel.
- The moment your skin is ready for the castor oil treatment, dampen one washcloth with tepid water and pour a little oil onto it. Keep in mind that, only a dime-sized amount will do.
- After that, start rubbing the oil into your facial skin focusing on the acne-sensitive areas. Follow small circular motion for the massage and be as gentle as possible. Otherwise, your skin might get damaged.
- Let the oil sit so that your skin can make the most of it. It is recommended that you keep it on your skin overnight. But if it is not possible, simply wait for 1-2 hours.
- In the morning, moisten another washcloth with some tepid water and wipe the excess oil away from your skin with it. Again, be very gentle as you are working on your acne-prone, sensitive skin.
- Wash off your face with fresh cold water so that the open pores get closed and your skin returns to the normal state.
- Pat your face dry with a clean dry towel.
- Eventually, moisturize your clean face with a few drops of castor oil.
This procedure should effectively work for you to give you a smooth face that is free of any spots that make you uncomfortable.
The other way involves the deep cleansing method. Under this, you are very likely to realize positive effects as it is known to be highly effective for acne treatment. It makes the oil to go deep into the skin and moisturize it to the optimum level, which in the long run gives you an acne free skin. The procedure of making this happen is very simple.
- Dilute the oil to a much thinner consistency because it is very thick in nature
- Prepare a source of running hot water and have a washcloth at hand
- Pour some adequate amount of oil blend onto your palm. Then rub it between your palms for a few minutes so that the mixture is warmed up
- Having done that, massage the warm oil blend into your skin by moving your palms across your facial skin. Make sure that you do not rub your skin vigorously. Rather, be slow and firm while focusing on the acne-affected parts.
- Continue the massage for 5 to 7 minutes until all your skin pores get saturated with the oil blend.
- After that, hold the washcloth under running hot water and moisten it properly.
- Spread the wet washcloth over your face, press it slightly against your skin with your fingers and then, let it sit for there until the warmth goes away.
- Once the washcloth cools down completely, wipe your face with it to remove excess oil.
- Again, rinse the washcloth in running hot water and follow previous two steps.
- Repeat the 6th and the 9th steps for at least thrice and finally, wipe your face thoroughly with the washcloth.
Castor Oil for Acne Before and After Pictures Results
Below is a collection of before and after photos of people who have had success in using treating acne with castor oil
Castor Oil for Acne Reviews & Best Products
A review by on March 17, 2017; rating 5 stars
Surprisingly amazed at the results of such a thick oil. At first I believed such a thick oil would not only make my spots more inflamed, but give me more spots but I was wrong!! It healed my bigger spots quicker than my usual treatment options and it made my skin to glow more, improved my skin tone and just made my skin feel better.
Up until I discovered castor oil I used benzyl peroxide creams. They worked very well in helping my acne however I found when I did get the odd cyst like pimple. BP creams made them more inflamed and made my skin look dull because I over applied the creams assuming they would get rid of the pimples. But castor oil is the complete opposite. Heals the pimple quickly without the horrible drying out of a pimple
Another review dated October 6th, 2017 by Mooninja; 5 star rating. It says
I use home health, organic cold pressed castor oil. It took me a few weeks to finally figure out what works best for my skin. I massage on my face for about 10 minutes then apply a hot, wet washcloth for at least 30 minutes (reheating obviously, as well as reapplying castor oil 1-2 more times. I then follow up with something called Miracle II neutralizer gel which is like aloe vera but better! I do that in the morning and at night but before bed I’ve been applying castor oil to cyst areas, covering with gauze and sleeping with it on. I don’t think there’s such a thing as too much castor oil, my skin hasn’t looked this good since February of this year and I can actually touch it without feeling pain.
All the pointed out reviews are strongly in support of the use of this oil for the removal of acne. It is therefore worth trying but before you do that, always consult you dermatologist.
Jamaican black castor oil for acne scars
The use of Jamaican black castor oil is getting a lot of attention because of its benefits for the hair. The oil has more fatty acids compared to any other brand of castor oil which penetrates the skin and then help the scarred tissue to appear fresh and plumped. The use of this oil is the fastest and most effective way to heal scarring using black castor oil. People who have done this have noticed very obvious lightening of the scar and better sensitivity in their skin along with hair growth.
Other recommended castor oil Products for acne
Home Health 8 Oz. cold pressed castor oil
It does not involve the use of chemicals or other harmful components that can compromise your health. It is also paraben free and this makes it a very important and effective emollient as well as moisturizer that penetrates deep into the skin to give a healthier glow.
Beauty Aura 16 Oz. 100 Percent Pure and Natural Castor Oil
This is cold pressed and obtained from only the finest seeds of castor plant, which grown and harvested in the India’s organic farms. It is completely vegan, hexane free and chemical free. It has no additives added to it. It helps the skin to remain moisturized, have less wrinkles, fine lines and reduced acne.
Beauty Aura 16 Oz. 100 Percent Pure and Natural Castor Oil
It is vegan friendly and cruelty free and this ensures that your skin remains smoother and healthier. It also has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
Castor Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Acne
The ricinoleic present in castor oil provides relief from swelling, redness and pain associated with breakouts. Just like castor oil, olive oil also contains anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties.
This process helps to treat cystic acne on face, back and chest. The procedure of making involves:
- Mixing equal parts of extra virgin olive oil and castor oil.
- Applying the mixture on the affected area by massaging in circular motions.
- Soaking a clean wash cloth in hot water and place it over the application. It enables the mixture to penetrate deeply.
- Removing the wash cloth, rinse with water, and pat dry.
- Repeating the treatment once in a day
Zinc and Castor Oil Ointment for Acne
The ointment when used is of very high antiseptic properties. Zinc can specifically kill acne by minimizing excess oil, also known as sebum, which the skin produces naturally. Increased amount of oil can clog pores with oil and acne-causing bacteria which causes acne breakouts. It is easy to apply on the skin and the zinc creates a barrier that protects the skin from the external environmental hazards. Castor oil is anti-inflammatory in nature and therefore prevents rashes from affecting your skin.
Does Castor Oil Cause Acne? Side Effects & Safety
So far so good castor oil is good for treating acne or pimples. It is also helpful in clearing acne spots. However some users say that it may at the same time cause acne. One user on acne.org forum claims that this oil has clogging properties that may lead to pimples. These are rare cases.
In terms of safety this oil is generally considered as safe. Some animal studies point out that this oil in its pure form may irritate the skin. Some people are also allergic to this oil.
In case you have had severe skin reactions of any kind, avoid pure castor oil, or products made of it.