Rhassoul Clay for Hair-Mask, Recipes, Benefits, Wash & Shampoo
What are the unique Rhassoul Clay hair benefits and uses? How is Rhassoul clay hair mask prepared and applied? Can Rhassoul clay be used for washing hair or as a deep hair conditioner? Read on to find out.
Rhassoul Clay Hair Mask Benefits
Rhassoul clay, also commonly known as Ghassoul or Moroccan Red clay, is more than just any other ordinary hair cleanser. This Morrocan nutrient- rich clay has many uses which are beneficial for your hair. First, let us examine the contents and properties of Rhassoul clay that make it good for the hair
Presence of Silica in Rhassoul Clay
According to Mountain Rose Herbs, Rhassoul clay is rich in minerals which include: silica, magnesium, iron, calcium, sodium and aluminum. As compared to other minerals, Silica takes the highest share of the minerals (58%) followed by Magnesium (25%),
Research has shown that silica stimulates hair growth. Professor Adolf Butenant, after conducting a research on Silica in 1972, came to one of these conclusions “Silica helps to prevent baldness, stimulates healthier hair growth and assures beautiful shine, luster and strength.
Silica for Hair Growth. How does it Work?
Firstly, silica helps to regenerate lost or injured tissues. At the base of each hair follicle is the papilla. Surrounding the papilla is the hair matrix – which is a collection of epithelial cells. This hair matrix goes through cell division to produce cells that form hair follicles.
Therefore, if silica is infused into the hair, it helps regenerate the epithelial tissue which in turn helps to stimulate formation of hair follicles. Hair grows from hair follicles. Stimulating formation of hair follicles leads to hair growth. Thus, silica aids in hair growth.
Secondly, silica helps to strengthen the connective tissue of the hair. The papilla which is at the base of each hair follicle is made up mainly of connective tissues. When silica is infused into the hair it helps in the formation of collagen.
Collagen is the basic element that makes up the connective tissue. The primary function of collagen is to add strength to the connective tissue (University of Western Australia, 2009). When the connective tissue is strengthened, it enables hair follicles to grow strong and long because they are supported by a strong connective tissue.
Presence of Magnesium in Rhassoul Clay
An increase in magnesium in the body builds up strong hair follicles and strong hair. On the other hand, a deficiency in magnesium causes hair loss. Ghassoul clay contains 25.2% of magnesium. Therefore, when Rhassoul clay is used as a hair cleanser, it helps to add magnesium in the hair follicles and thus making hair strong and able to grow.
In addition, magnesium cleans calcium deposits off the scalp that may be blocking hair follicles. When these calcium deposits are cleaned off the scalp, hair follicles are aerated enabling the growth of hair. Rhassoul clay contains 25.2% of magnesium! Therefore, rhassoul clay indeed aids in the growth of hair.
Rhassoul clay ability to cleanse hair without removing all of its protective sebum
Rhassoul clay is effective in hair growth in that it is able to clean hair without removing all of its protective sebum. Sebum is an oily matter produced by sebaceous glands. Sebum is important in that it lubricates the scalp preventing formation of dry flakes on the scalp.
Dry flakes on the scalp cause inflammation and itching. When the scalp is inflamed, it cannot support growth of strong long hair. Therefore, Ghassoul clay, through its ability to clean hair without depleting sebum from the hair and scalp, makes hair growth possible.
In a summary here are Rhassoul Hair Mask Benefits
- Rhassoul clay is very gentle to the scalp and hair and thus makes hair washing pleasant.
- Ghassoul clay cleanses hair without removing all of its protective sebum thus preventing hair breakage.
- Rhassoul clay leaves hair soft and shiny.
- Ghassoul clay increases hair volume and the quality of your hair texture.
- Since Rhassoul clay can be used as a hair cleanser for washing hair, it removes dirt, odor, and excessive oil from hair as well as detangling it
- Moroccan Red clay eliminates dandruff from the scalp and hair leaving hair’s appearance looking clean.
- Because of its effectiveness in hair washing, Rhassoul clay gradually reduces the need for frequent hair washing.
- Rhassoul clay is a natural product. It is free of chemicals, preservatives and fragrances.
Rhassoul Clay Hair Mask Recipe for Natural
A hair mask is a treatment done on hair to clean it, moisturize it, and to make it soft and shiny. It is good for natural. What are the ingredients and procedure for preparing Rhassoul clay mask? How is the clay mask applied? Continue reading to find out more about the Moroccan red clay mask.
How to Prepare Rhassoul Clay Hair Mask
- The items you will require include; Rhassousl clay powder, warm water, non-metallic container and a non-metallic stick for stirring.
- Put Rhassoul clay powder in the non-metallic container.
- Add some warm water into the container
- Mix the Ghassoul clay powder with warm water using a non-metallic stirrer until you get a gel-like consistency. Note: If mixture is too thin, add some more Rhassoul clay powder. If mixture is too thick, add some more water until you get the gel-like consistency.
This gel-like consistency is Rhassoul clay hair mask and it is now ready to be used on hair.
How to Apply Rhassoul Clay Hair Mask
Below are the steps to follow when applying Rhassoul clay mask for your natural hair.
- Wet hair.
- Divide hair into sections.
- Starting with the back sections moving up, apply a generous amount of Rhassoul clay hair mask from the root to the ends of the hair strands. Apply on the edges of the hair strands too.
- Repeat the same process for each section.
- Ensure all hair on the head is thoroughly covered with Ghassoul clay hair mask.
- Cover the hair with a plastic cap.
- Leave the hair mask on the hair for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse hair thoroughly with warm water.
- Dry hair.
- Style as desired
Rhassoul Clay Hair Wash Recipe
Rhassoul clay is a great product for washing hair. It is pure, gentle on the scalp and hair and it leaves hair soft and shiny after washing.
Hair Wash Recipe
- Moroccan clay 2 tablespoons
- water 4 tablespoons
- 10 drops lavender oil
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tsp aloe vera gel
- In a non-metal bowl, Add whole amount rhassoul clay in a bowl( ensure it is non-metal)
- Add the water and grapeseed oil and mix to a fine consistency
- To the mixture, add aloe vera gel and stir untils it is all mixed.
Note: In place of water you can also use coconut milk.
Washing hair with rhassoul clay homemade shampoo
- Wet your hair in the shower and squeeze out the excess water.
- Divide your hair into manageble sections (about 3 or 4)
- Take rhassoul clay shampoo and spread it on your hair using your fingers.
- Ensure to massage part of the shampoo on your scalp.
- Allow it to stay for a couple minutes to absorb dirt and grease
- Using warm water, wash off. You may need about 8 rinses for a complete wash off. Do your last rinse with cold water.
Rhassoul Clay Shampoo Products
One of the most sought rhassoul mud shampoo is Carol’s Daughter.
According to labeling, it is a balancing that draws out sweat and toxins without stripping off the natural moisture in your hair.
It contains additional ingredients including;
- Aloe vera juice
- Cactus flower
It is free of;
- Mineral Oils
- Artificial Colors
Based on reviews, most users would recommend this shampoo
Here is review from one user
Other rhassoul clay shampoos products include;
- Low Lather Rhassoul Clay Shea Butter Shampoo and Conditioner
- Poppy Austin 100% Organic Rhassoul Clay Hair and Facial mask
- Carols Daughter Rhassoul Clay Softening Hair Mask
A deep conditioner is a thick substance that is applied to hair that has been shampooed and towel dried in order to add moisture, nutrients and repair damaged hair. Rhassoul clay is a great and beneficial ingredient of some deep conditioners because it is gentle, rich in minerals and it leaves the hair soft and shiny after washing.
In order to use Rhassoul clay as a deep conditioner, either buy a deep conditioning treatment that contains natural ingredients with Rhassoul clay as one of the ingredients, or make your own deep conditioner using Rhassoul clay at home. Rhassoul clay is 100% natural. According to most hairdressers, most of their clients prefer hair conditioners that have natural ingredients.
Ingredients needed for making your own deep conditioner:
- Ghassoul clay powder
- Warm water
- Any natural organic oil that you may have such as: virgin olive oil, sunflower oil or coconut oil.
- (Optional) – Any other pureed organic food product that has nutrients that you may want to add in the deep conditioner such as pureed banana or avocado.
Rhassoul Clay Deep Conditioning how to Prepare Recipe
- Put Rhassoul clay powder in a non-metallic container.
- Add warm water to the Rhassoul clay powder.
- Stir the mixture until you get a thick paste.
- Add pureed organic food product of your choice and stir well.
- Add any natural organic oil of your choice that you may be having and stir the mixture well until you get a gel-like consistency.
How to Use/ Apply Rhassoul Clay as a Deep Conditioner for Hair
- Firstly, wash hair using Rhassoul clay mixture (Rhassoul clay mixture is made by adding warm water to Rhassoul clay powder and stirring the mixture until you get a gel-like consistency).
- Towel dry hair.
- Divide hair into sections.
- Starting with the first section, make small subsections and apply enough amount of Rhassoul clay deep conditioner to each strand of hair from root to ends including edges of the hair strands.
- Follow the same procedure for each of the sections.
- Put a plastic cap on to cover the hair.
- Allow the deep conditioner to stay on the hair for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- Dry the hair.
- Style hair as desired.
Why don’t you try Rhassoul clay for natural hair today? Remember to return and share your experience…
Suggested Further Reading
- Rhassoul Clay Benefits, Uses, Side Effects for Hair and Skin
- Rhassoul Clay Soap Benefits and Recipes-How to Make
- Rhassoul Clay Mask Benefits for Skin, Face & Recipe
- Rhassoul Clay vs Bentonite Clay, Properties, Differences &Similarities
More on Clay
- Bentonite Clay Mask Reviews & DIY Face, Hair Mask Benefits
- Bentonite Clay Bath Detox Recipe for Foot and Body
- Best Bentonite Clay Detox Bath & Recipe Reviews, Symptoms
- Bentonite Clay Benefits – Drinking & Mask for Skin Health
- Bentonite Clay Side Effects on Skin, Hair Detox & Bath Effects
- Bentonite Clay for Hair – Natural Hair Loss & Growth Treatment Mask Recipe
- Aztec Healing Clay, Uses, Benefits, Reviews,where to Buy & Side Effects
- Aztec Clay Mask Benefits, Reviews, Face & Mud Mask Recipe
- Montmorillonite Clay Benefits, Uses in Cat / Dog Food, Structure & Properties
- Sodium/Calcium Montmorillonite Clay Side Effects –Humans, Cats & Dogs.
- Kaolin Clay Uses – Skin, Cosmetics, Eating, Hair, Spray & Where to Buy (China Clay)
- Kaolin Clay Mask Benefits for Face, Acne & Oily Skin-Homemade Recipe
- White, Red, Yellow & Pink Kaolin Clays-Benefits & Uses
- Kaolin Clay Skin Benefits, Side Effects, Properties