Essential oils for hair help promote healthy hair and scalp. They moisturize and reduce hair loss. This article discusses the best essential oils for hair growth and hair loss. Also read on for essential oil remedies to dry, thinning and for natural hair.
How and What Essential Oils are Good for Hair?
- How and What Essential Oils are Good for Hair?
- Best Essential Oils for Hair Growth- Recipe
- Essential Oils for Hair Loss
- Essential Oils for Natural Hair
- Essential Oils for Dry Hair
- Essential Oils for Thinning Hair
- List of Essential Oils for Hair –other Essential Oils for General uses on Hair
- Essential Oils Information
What essential oils are good for hair? How are these oils good for hair? Essential oils are used to cleanse the scalp, strengthen hair, control irritation and dandruff, stimulate hair follicles, improve circulation and even promote hair growth. Some essential oils improve the condition of the scalp whiles others improve the condition of the hair.
Essential oils are very useful in homemade hair care products and many of them are very good in treating scalp conditions such as tea tree oil for dandruff, rosemary to grow hair faster, lavender for dry scalp, and peppermint for itchy scalp and to stimulate hair growth.
Here are some of essential oils and how they are good for hair,
- Chamomile for itchy scaly scalp and dandruff
- Rosemary for dandruff and flaky dry scalp
- Peppermint for hair growth
- Tea tree oil moisturizing and good for hair loss and thinning
- Lemon oil for oily hair, lice and dry scalp
- Myrrh oil for dry hair and dandruff
Best Essential Oils for Hair Growth- Recipe
Most essential oils stimulate the scalp and hair follicles. They create new hair growth as well as slow down hair loss. Lavender, thyme, and clary sage are other essential oils that blend well with rosemary and are beneficial to hair.
To make hair grow faster;
Mix several drops of lavender oil, three drops of rosemary oil, and two drops each of thyme oil and cedar wood oil, along with some jojoba oil. Apply this to your scalp to enhance natural hair growth.
Best Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Most essential oils are good for hair growth as because the base properties of most or all of them are similar. Here are the best essential oils for hair growth.
- Rosemary Essential Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- Geranium Essential Oil
- Cypress Essential Oil
- Clary Sage Essential Oil
- Sage Essential Oil
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
Essential Oils for Hair Growth Recipe
Essential oils recipes combine the goodness of various oils to bring out the best properties that will work to stimulate your scalp, improve circulation and moisturize for natural hair growth stimulation. This can be done through luxurious essential oil scalp massages or hot oil treatments which ensure deep penetration and absorption of oil into the scalp and hair roots. Here is a recipe that will work fast in promoting faster hair growth
- 2 drops of Cedar wood
- 2 drops of thyme
- 2-3 drops of rosemary
- 2-3 drops of lavender
- 3-5 teaspoons of grape seed oil
- About half a teaspoon of jojoba oil
Mix all of the above oils together and then massage the mixture into your scalp. Wrap your head in a towel to keep it warm. Depending on how your scalp and hair react to this treatment, you have two choices: either wait 30 minutes and then wash it all out, or keep it in overnight and wash your hair in the morning. Do this twice a week.
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Hair loss is associated with natural aging process and damaged due to bad hair products or too much heat treatment. Hair loss occurs due to various factors such as stress, hormonal changes, chlorinated water and use of hair products with synthetic chemicals. To effectively treat hair loss, be sure to remove the factor that is causing you your hair.
Clary sage, Ylang Ylang and lavender are very helpful in managing hair loss. Thyme is found as an ingredient in most potent hair growth products. It is not clear exactly how and why it works so well to treat certain types of hair loss, but it has been proven to work over
Essential Oils for Natural Hair
Hair loss and damage stems most from bad hair practices that leave your hair stripped off moisture, weak and an irritated scalp. Essential oils grow your hair naturally by replacing moisture, nutrients and stimulating new hair growth.
Clary sage has cleansing and conditioning properties. It moisturizes and deeply penetrates dry, processed and damages hair. It nourishes your hair strands and reduces hair loss. This in turn fills in your scalp with new natural hair growth.
Rosemary oil has a fresh scent and is used in scalp massages. It stimulates the scalp and promotes new hair growth.
Essential Oils for Dry Hair
Dry hair grows out thick and rough. Avoid hair products with harsh chemicals and colorants. Choose those that are enriched with natural oils such as jojoba and almond oil.
The best essential oils for dry hair are those that balance out oil production rather than dry them out. Choose those that have astringent and emollient properties. Essential oils recommended for dry hair include;
- Jojoba oil as a carrier oil
- Lavender oil
- Rosemary oil
- Clary sage oil
- Cedar wood oil
- Chamomile oil
- Geranium oil
- Sandal wood oil
- Argan oil
Essential Oils for Thinning Hair
What essential oils are good for thinning hair? Some essential oils stimulate the hair follicles and increase circulation to the scalp. This contributes to hair regrowth and slows the process of hair loss. Essential oils have been used over time to treat hair loss and thinning hair.
Pomegranate seed oil is excellent for fine hair and thinning hair. It contains high amounts of punicic acid, which revitalizes your hair leaving it looking thick and shiny. It’s also a great protector against chemicals and other environmental damage. Pomegranate seed oil is very thick and somewhat expensive, you can mix it with extra-virgin olive oil to make it last longer and get the benefits of both.
To stimulate circulation to the scalp
- Combine 6 drops lavender and bay essentials oil with 4 ounces of warm sesame oil
- Massage the mixture into your scalp.
- Allow the mixture to penetrate the scalp for at least 20 minutes before shampooing.
- For faster results, add 3 drops of bay essential oil to your shampoo before washing your hair. Rinse as usual.
List of Essential Oils for Hair –other Essential Oils for General uses on Hair
Other than for hair growth, hair loss and natural hair growth, essential oils can be used in many other ways for hair. Other general uses of essential oils on hair include;
As anti fungal and anti bacterial
Spice and herbal based essential oils are best known for in treatment of ringworms and other fungal conditions. These include; cinnamon oil thyme oil, rosemary, clove and sage oil. Tea tree oil is special in that it has anti fungal, anti bacterial and anti viral properties. It is also known to treat inflammation and dry flaky scalp.
The tingling sensation of peppermint on the scalp is said to stimulate follicles. Ylang ylang oil gives a warm sensation by increasing skin temperature.
Aromatherapy has positive effect on your mood. It helps you relax by reducing stress which is a culprit in hair loss and thinning. Essential oils used in aromatherapy include; lavender, rosemary, peppermint and eucalyptus.
Here is a list of other essential oils for general uses on hair;
- Avocado oil
- Jojoba oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pomegranate seed oil
- Argan oil
- Coconut seed oil
- Patchouli oil
- Cypress oil
Essential Oils Information
Want more information on essential oils? Follow this links for more interesting further reading on oils
- Vitamin E Oil Benefits and Uses for Face, Hair, Skin, Scars, Acne& Stretch Marks
- Best Essential Oils for Skin Tags, Wrinkles, Dry, Itchy & Sensitive Skin + Recipes
- Uses of Tea Tree Oil for Nail Fungus, Lice, Scabies, Body and Foot Soak- How to Use Tea Tree Oil
- Tea Tree Oil For Hair Growth, Loss, Dandruff, Scalp, Ingrown & Natural Hair –Products
- Tea Tree Oil for Acne Scars, Skin Tags, Fungus, Irritation, Cancer & Molluscum
- Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for Skin, Hair& Health- Tea Tree Oil Products Benefits & Side Effects
- Jojoba Oil uses, Benefits for Skin, Hair Growth, Loss where to Buy & Reviews
- Jojoba Oil Acne Scars Treatment- How to Use
- Rosemary Essential Oil Uses, Benefits for Hair, Skin& Properties