Best Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Facts, List & Ideas
What are the best healthy snacks for weight loss? Are there any substantial facts or studies that support snacks to lose weight? Read on to find out more about the best snacks that can help you lose weight plus healthy snack ideas and tips for your weight loss plan.
Snacks for Weight Loss Facts &Benefits
Are there facts that back up snacking to lose weight? What are the health and nutritional benefits of snacks? What do studies or research say?
For many individuals, dieting means restricting the amount of food intake. Which food in particular? Snacks! This is usually done to limit the number of calories. Probably, you think of snacking as adding more calories, sugar and fat to your body. However, snacking while watching your weight isn’t such a bad idea. Why or how is snacking a good idea or beneficial? It is a fact that snacking provides structure to your everyday eating plan thus it is very important if you’re looking to manage your weight.
A study established that snacking for weight loss is a recommended strategy since it helps control appetite by preventing overeating at meals- eating smaller amounts more frequently may be a more compatible pattern of eating than eating large meals for physically-active lifestyle
A study conducted among adults in America examined people who skip meals compared to those who do not. The study found that in both categories, the prevalence of overweight/obesity was significantly lower in those who skipped meals but snacked (65.5 + 0.8% vs. 71.6+1.5% ) as well as in non-meal skippers who snacked (62.8 +1.1% vs. 66.7 + 1.2% ), compared to those who did not snack
A study using National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) data to establish associations between snacking frequency and overweight/abdominal obesity found inverse relationships between snacking frequency and mean body weight, BMI, the percentile of BMI-for-age, and waist circumference among participating adolescents. In this same study, prevalence for over-weight/obesity and the occurrence of abdominal obesity decreased as snacking frequency and energy consumed from snacks increased. [Snack Sense]
Another study, using data from NHANES 1999-2004, found that snacking was associated with more nutrient-dense diets as measured by the USDA Healthy Eating Index-2005 scores.[Today’s Dietitian]
There more other nutritional health benefits of snacking such as;
- An improved intake of nutrients and micronutrients, and recommended food groups, especially among populations that are at nutritional risk
- Sustained Energy Levels- Snacking helps maintain c your blood sugar levels
- Post exercise recovery- Healthy snacks after exercises can aid in replacing your energy stores while speeding up muscle recovery
Top 9 Best Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss
What are top best healthy snacks for weight loss? Below are 9 healthy snacks to lose weight. The selection is based on what our online searches yielded from popular health, food and nutrition websites, such as Health.com, MSN Nutrition & Fitness, Fitness Magazine, Women’s Health etc.
#1 Yogurt –Greek Yogurt
Yogurt is a probiotic-packed healthy snack that you need to include in your weight regime. If you have been keen on yogurt, you must have probably come across probiotics. Probiotics refers to living organisms such as bacteria or yeast that are believed to improve your health when eaten in sufficient amounts.
According to a new research in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, yogurt can aid boost your weight loss results. Another study at the University of Washington in Seattle found yogurt may curb your appetite by helping you feel fuller. The study tested hunger, calories and fullness eaten at the next meal on sixteen women and sixteen men who had a 200-calorie snack. The snack was either:
- Semisolid yogurt containing pieces of peach and eaten with a spoon
- The same yogurt in drinkable form
- A peach-flavored dairy beverage
- Peach juice
Even though those who had the yogurt snacks did not consumer fewer calories at the next meal, both types of yogurt brought about lower hunger ratings and higher fullness ratings than either of the other snacks.
Is Greek yogurt one of the best variety of yogurt that can help in losing weight? Definitely yes! Greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein. Protein gives you sustained energy, satiates your hunger, and can aid in curbing sugar cravings. The yogurt also comes with a combination of calcium and amino acid which maintains lean muscle mass as well as burning fat. Dipping berries into plain nonfat Greek yogurt and freezing them for about 2hrs 30min before your main meals is great way to come up antioxidant-rich treat
Learn more about Greek yogurt weight loss , the best brand and diet plan lose weight.
# 2 Nonfat Cottage Cheese
Substituting foods with high calories with a low-fat nutrient-dense choice like cottage cheese is a sure way to boost your weight loss plan. Containing only 104 calories per a cup and only trace amounts of fat, nonfat cottage cheese is a nutritious snack that provides you with considerable amounts of calcium, phosphorus, selenium, riboflavin vitamin B-12 and protein. Always go for nonfat or low-fat versions, since creamed or full-fat cottage cheese is high in calories, fat, cream, saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium.
Tip: Make a pudding with cottage cheese. Add canned pumpkin, cloves, ginger and cinnamon to cottage cheese for a pumpkin pie pudding. You can also a sweet treat by mixing nutmeg, cinnamon and sliced apples with cottage cheese.
nutrients, like potassium, cancer-fighting lycopene, and beta-carotene.
What is Edamame? The names sounds quite scary but behold, it is something you know: boiled green soybeans! Edamame can be a great ingredient in your weight loss diet program. One cup of this yummy snack can meet one-third of both your everyday fiber and protein requirements. In addition, edamame contains essential nutrients including vitamin C & E, folate, iron, omega-3 fatty acids and zinc. The beans are usually available fresh or frozen and they can be prepared by cooking and shelling them. You can munch them on their own or in Asian-style recipes.
#4 Grapes and Walnuts
A combination of grapes and walnuts in one cup is an amazing source of natural sugars, fiber protein and healthy fats—all of which make for more sustained energy. You sweetness in grapes explains how the natural sugars come about while on the other hand the walnuts play a significant role in filling.
Popcorn is full of fiber and contains few calories, it does not matter if it is microwaved or air popped. According to Laura Cipullo, a registered dietitian, you can sprinkle it with nutritional yeast. The nutty, almost cheese-like flavored flakes are a good source of vitamin B12, a nutrient that aids in boosting metabolism and burns stored fat and calories. You can also try Indiana All-Natural Classic Popcorn which comes with as few as 5(five) simple natural ingredients
#6 KIND Healthy Grains Bar
These bars contain amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa, millet, and gluten-free oats enough to meet one-third of your daily whole grain needs. Studies have already established a possibility of burning fat with a diet rich in whole grains. In addition grains help in lowering cholesterol levels.
#7 Frozen Tamale Pie
Did you know that a calorie-controlled frozen meal can be a great snack that can help you watch your weight? A good example is Amy’s Mexican Tamale Pie. This mouth-watering snack is chock-full of great carbs, particularly in the form of beans and polenta, that will offer you energy; protein, to keep you full and satisfied; and veggies, to contribute antioxidants and vitamins. More so, it’s low-fat and filling.
#8 Turkey & Avocado Roll-ups
This is a great no-carb, protein-rich snack that slows down the rate of digestion thus preventing cravings later on. Simply roll up an avocado sliver in a slice of organic lean turkey breast. To boost metabolism, add mustard.
#9 Tomato Soup with Baby Carrots
Does dinner seem a long way off? Why not try this tomato-soup-with-baby-carrots mini-meal snack? In addition to filling, this snack also gives you lots of body-healthy
More Healthy Snacks to Lose Weight- List of Healthy Good Snacks for Weight Loss
Need more healthy snacks to lose weight? Let us explore more good snacks for weight loss.
Almond Butter Apples
An apple a day keeps the doctor away…well this time round, it is not about keeping your doctor away but watching your weight. This fruit is full of fiber and it contains enzymes that help your body digest food more efficiently. In addition to vitamin E and magnesium, almond butter offers the protein that makes this snack filling. To make this bread-free sandwich snack, core an apple and slice it from top to bottom to create rings, then spread a table spoon of almond butter.
Pineapple, Lime Juice and Sea Salt
Pineapple has high water content but with low in calories .so you can eat quite a lot of it. To add a twist, squeeze lime juice and sprinkle sea salt on top for a mixture that promotes healthy digestion.
Cantaloupe or Melon with Balsamic Vinegar
Like pineapple, melon/cantaloupe contains plenty of water and fiber that will keep you full. It has low calories, and offers enough food in addition to beta-carotene. Drizzle balsamic vinegar to help activate pepsin, a digestive enzyme that breaks down proteins into amino acids.
Graham Crackers with Peanut Butter
Spread 2 graham cracker squares with light peanut butter. This combo produces an amazing mix of sweet and salty flavors, plus a protein and fat boost from the peanut butter, which will keep you satisfied till your next dish.
Paprika with Baked Zucchini Chips and Sea Salt
Of course you use paprika as flavoring spice but did you know that it can also boost your metabolism, reduce your appetite, and lower your blood pressure? It does, according to L. Minchen, a registered dietitian. To come up with this snack, cut a zucchini into thin slices and toss in one table spoon olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 450 degrees F.
Yet more – a list of Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss
Below is a list of recommended healthy snacks to help you lose weight.
- Banana with Peanut Butter
- Black Beans and Salsa on a Corn Tortilla
- Natural Peanut Butter on Ezekiel Toast
- IPS all Natural Egg White Chips
- Luna Protein Bar
- Turkey Jerky with Mustard
- Health Warrior Chia Bars
- Licorice roots
- Sunflower-lentil Spread on Celery Stalks
- Pomegranate Seeds with Pistachios
- No-bake Oatmeal Bites
Healthy Snack Ideas for Weight Loss
Following are healthy snack ideas and tips for weight loss
- The key to including snacks into your weight-loss plan is to remember moderation and balance. Choose foods that satisfy your hunger, provide your body with energy and essential nutrients. Opt for snacks with low calories to stay within your daily calorie goal.
- Choose the right snacks- Always consider foods with high water or fiber content and few calories. Best food groups include, fruits & vegetables, whole grains, nuts & seeds and low-fat dairy products
- Research published in the journalAppetite indicates that you feel like you have eaten more if you can see the remnants of your food. For instance, when eating Edamame, suck them straight from the shells if you want them to last longer.
- Plan ahead- Always work out earlier to make better choices. Planning allows you to have healthy snacks in place so that you are prepared when temptation strikes. According to Mayo clinic;
- Prepare and pack healthy meals at home for children and/or adults to eat at school or work.
- Have healthy snacks available at home and bring nutrient-dense snacks to eat when on the go.
- Before attending parties, eat a small, healthy snack at home. Then at the party take small portions and focus on healthy options.
Suggested Further Reading: More Weight Loss Information
Want more information on weight loss? Follow these links for interesting information on how to lose weight effectively and in a healthy manner.
- Best Weight Loss Workouts for Men & Women- Program or Plan
- Healthy Weight Calculator, Chart, Range for Women, Men, Teens and Kids: Normal& Ideal Body Weight for Height
- I Want to Lose Weight Fast – No Exercise, Safe Pills/Supplements, Plans/ Programs Tips
- Healthy Weight Loss Per Week for Women, Men & Rate- How Can I Lose Weight in a Week?
- Running for Weight Loss (Running to Lose Weight) – Plan, Schedule & Tips
- Walking for Weight Loss – How Much Walking to Lose Weight? Plan & Strategies
- Healthy Weight Loss – Best Foods, Diet Meal Plans, Programs &Tips
- Yogurt and Weight Loss -Best Greek Yogurt for Weight Loss, Diet Plan &Tips
- Can / does Drinking Water Help you Lose Weight? Calculate how Much Water for Weight Loss &Tips
Healthy Weight Gain
- Gain Weight -Healthy Methods, Fastest & Natural Ways for Skinny Men, Women & Kids
- Gain Weight Diet /Meals for Men, Toddlers& Women-Foods to Gain Weight
- Best Weight Gainers for Men, Women, Kids / Children