What is the best hangover medicine/cure? Here are some of the known pills and medications: Blowfish, Alka Seltzer, Berocca & Pepto Bismol, Chaser Hangover & Charcoal Pills, Sprayology Party Relief, Bytox patch, Mercy, PreFunc among other over counter cures, their reviews in terms of ingridents, how to use, benefits, Side Effects
Blowfish Hangover Reviews-Ingredients, Benefits & Side effects
- Blowfish Hangover Reviews-Ingredients, Benefits & Side effects
- Alka Seltzer Hangover Relief-Ingredients & Reviews
- Berocca Hangover Cure Reviews
- Pepto Bismol Hangover Remedy- Does it work?
- Chaser Hangover Pills
- Sprayology Party Relief
- Bytox Patch, Mercy, PreFunc, Charcoal Pill & other over the counter Medication for Hangover
- What is the Best Medicine for Hangover?
What is blow fish and its ingredients?
If you know what a blowfish is, you would be forced to think that these tablets have an element of the blowfish. The poisonous blowfish in the Sea of Japan. It has been well identified that a human being requires 2-3 mg of tetrodoxin (from Ishikawa’s traditions), the lethal compound in blowfish. This toxin is 100 times more toxic than potassium cyanide and this would keep you wondering; how then is this significant as the cure of hangovers?
Blowfish is one hangover remedy that has sparked lots of interest in doctors, bartenders and the world of alcoholics at large. The FDA have approved it and it is currently recognized for treating hangovers.
- What is a hangover? Meaning, Causes, without drinking & Help
- What does a hangover feel like? Signs & Symptoms of a Hangover
- How long do Hangovers last? 2-3 & 4 Day Hangover Symptoms & Causes
Blowfish tablets were permitted by the U.S FDA as a drug that can be sold as an over-the-counter drug. Apart from providing a cure to your hangover, there have been claims that the society will further be swept into a quagmire of alcoholism with the advent of this drug.
Blowfish has in it, a combination of aspirin and caffeine. In addition to these main ingredients are:
- Anhydrous citric acid
- Acesulfame potassium
- Docusate sodium
- Sodium benzoate
- Sodium hydrogen carbonate
These tablets have been received with skeptic views on the overindulgence of alcohol and worsening of the condition of alcoholics. This might be true to your opinion but according to Brenna Haysom, who is the founder and president of the Rally Labs, this advent comes after she suffered for long from hangovers. In an interview with BBC, she says that she needed to function well come the following day after a night of fun. From experience, these tablets came to being.
While blowfish is not the first of the hangover cures to be invented, it might be the remedy to your post-booze blues. According to Richard Blondell, from American Academy of Family Physicians Addiction Medicine, drugs that claim to be a remedy crop up then die off as the year passes. From its reviews and accountable benefits, you should be able to understand why and whether this statement is valid.
How effective is Blowfish for hangover-Does it work?
By considering the mechanism behind the action of the drug and the individual significance of each ingredient, its effectiveness can be graded. The main ingredients from the list above are aspirin and caffeine. The rest are excipients that enhance both delivery of the active ingredients and drug compliance. It is easy to ask: why then shouldn’t you be able to take aspirin and coffee which are among the foods that combat hangover? Isn’t it cheaper and readily available?
- Pharmaceutical caffeine – this is a central nervous stimulant. It is used to restore mental alertness. It is indicated for fatigue and drowsiness that comes with alcohol sedation. You might have come across caffeine in headache and migraine medications. It is therefore not surprising to have it in Blowfish tablets. In one controlled study, caffeine was found to be better than placebo and as good as Tylenol in headaches of the tension-type. Caffeine affects the action of adenosine which is a necessary brain substance whose level goes into an upsurge during headaches and migraine attacks. Caffeine blocks the reception of these substance and prevents or reduces the dampened brain level activity and widening of the cranial blood vessels.
- Aspirin has anti-inflammatory effects and is also indicated for any headache and inflammation along the gastrointestinal tract. It is also a pain reliever of minor aches and pains associated with a hangover. It also provides relief from migraines, headaches any pain on the body after a binge.
- Mannitol and acesulfame potassium– mannitol is a sugar alcohol in the same category of xylitol and sorbitol. These excipients are used in pharmaceutical flavoring[i]. Acesulfame potassium is also an artificial sweetener.
- Sodium hydrogen carbonate – this facilitates the effervescence that Blowfish exhibits. Blowfish is fizzy when added to water and this characteristic is accounted for by the reaction between this compound and the anhydrous citric acid.
- Povidone – a tablet binder and disintegrant.
The beauty with this tablet is that the drug is already in its dissolved state and therefore is absorbed into circulation fast. In about 15 minutes you will be doing better already. Effervescent technology comes with a whole lot of advantages in its package such as:
- Faster absorption hence faster onset of action even if there is food in the GIT
- It is gentler on the gut. This is due to the first absorption of the drugs with reduced localized contact with the gut. This means less irritation on the gut wall.
- Since alcohol triggers overproduction of hydrochloric acid, effervescence tablets alkalize the stomach reducing the acidity and the irritation that comes with it.
Reviews-Benefits and Side effects
Customer reviews according to Amazon.com shows that 82 of 136 customer reviews think that it is an excellent drug of choice to deal with a hangover with a 5 star rating of a whopping 60%. Their statistics still show that with declining preference, numbers grow smaller meaning that most of the positive reviews are at the top of the table. The average being a 4 star.
“One of my friends gave me a packet of Blowfish after a night-out and I loved it. It reminds me of Alta-seltzer but is more effective against the symptoms of hangover.”
“I can’t count the number of times Blowfish has saved me from blowing chunks on my morning commute…it will definitely turn what would be a waste of a day into a productive one!”
According to Villlagevoice.com, most of the reviews were too positive with some mentioning the benefits such as:
- Its fast onset of action
- Its flavored formulation
- Better than aspirin and coffee taken separately
- Relieves pain
- Improves alertness
Seems like in deed there is truth in their advertisement: Own the night. Save the day
The side effects of Blowfish are mainly those of the individual active ingredients aspirin and caffeine. The following apply to aspirin/caffeine formulations:
- Less severe – Stomach upsets, nausea, vomiting, fever, drowsiness, mild headache
- Severe (rare) – Ringing in your ears, fever lasting more than 3 days, pain lasting more than 10 days, vomit that resembles coffee grounds
Note that such side effects occur rarely and even as toxicity signs such as consuming more than 8 tablets in a 24 hour period. Intolerance to caffeine and aspirin in those who have such intolerance, is the main cause of all these side effects.
Note that this is not a complete list of the side effects that may occur with Blowfish tablets. Once you notice anything odd, call a doctor.
Alka Seltzer Hangover Relief-Ingredients & Reviews
What is made up of? (Ingredients)
Alka Seltzer Morning Relief is the first effervescent drug marketed as a hangover cure. It was developed by Maurice Treener who is a head chemist at Dr. Miles Medicine Company. Since it started as a relief of several ailments and discomforts such as hangovers, indigestion, heartburn, headache, inflammation and sour stomach in 1931, it is more than 80 years old.
It contains the same active ingredients as Blowfish. It has both aspirin and caffeine. Both of these active ingredients elicit the same effect as you have seen in Blowfish.
Its ingredients include:
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Citric acid
How effective is it?
As stated initially, aspirin has works well to relieve headaches and any pains associated with hangovers. It also treats inflammation caused by cytodestructive effect of alcohol.
The caffeine, a stimulant of the central nervous system helps in the increase of wakefulness and alertness.
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), works to create the fizzy effect of the tablet when in water in the presence of the citric acid or the excessive hydrochloric acid in the stomach. The reaction between sodium bicarbonate and the citric acid creates a buffer which enables the rapid absorption of the active ingredients. It also neutralizes the acidic environment created by alcohol consumed. The importance of this buffer is also seen when it stabilizes the pH change due to aspirin as aspirin is an acidic drug.
From a mechanistic approach to the understanding of how it elicits its action, Alka-Seltzer is an effective drug in relieving hangover symptoms and therefore curing it. For those who have opted to use this drug, there have been positive reports regarding its fast onset of action due to its effervescent technology.
Possible effects (negative & positive)
- It has a faster onset of action than aspirin and coffee taken individually
- It has a citrus flavor
- Relieves pain
- Improves alertness
- Gentle one the stomach
The following side-effects are associated with Alka-Seltzer:
- Less severe – nausea, heartburn, irritation of stomach wall, stomach cramps, vomiting, flatulence
- Severe (rare) – seizures, life-threatening allergic reactions, stomach or intestinal ulcers, wheezing, burning stomach, redness of the skin, indigestion (WebMd)[ii]
Most of the severe side effects are as a result of aspirin or caffeine intolerance. If you have a case with any of these intolerances, then you should avoid taking this medication.
Note that this is not a complete list of the side effects that may occur with Blowfish tablets. Once you notice anything odd, call a doctor.
Berocca Hangover Cure Reviews
What is berocca and what are the ingredients?
This product has also been in use in the years for more than 30 years. It has been known as a cure for hangovers in some countries as marketed but in other countries, Berocca is an energy support product. As an energy support product, Berocca stimulates both mental alertness and sharpness and enhances physical energy. As learnt from Yahoo Health in 2005, Berocca is not marketed in the US as a hangover product but rather as an energy support product.
While not much has been done to prove the action of Berocca on hangovers, its ingredients can in deed provide symptomatic relief of the hangover symptoms. Berocca is a tablet with a high dose of the B vitamins. With addition of other rehydrating methods, Berocca will help relieve most of the symptoms.
Berocca is a brand drink that is effervescent. Its ingredients include:
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin C
- Flavors of orange, mango, tropical and mixed berries
How does berocca perform for hangovers
From ScienceDirect Journals[iii], A double blind and placebo controlled study that focused on the effect of a multivitamin-mineral supplement with guarana such as Berocca Boost found that cognitive performance of subjects was increased while mental fatigue was reduced. This research provides for the first time in humans a multivitamin-mineral formulation with guarana that can elicit such actions (Scholey and Kennedy). Guarana is a source of caffeine.
This is significant mechanism through which a hangover sedation, depression, loss of cognitive ability and fatigue can be treated. With addition of the minerals, any lost electrolytes from vomiting, sweating or diarrhea can be replaced.
Reviews-Side effects and Advantages
In Amazon forums discussions on Berocca, 56% had a 5 star rating with an average of 4.2 rating overall. Among 144 positive reviews these are the comments found;
“I was surprised to find that it did pick me up and kept me energized and hydrated while using it as a preventative, and it turned my urine into a harmless but magical orange glow.”
“Felt wrong-footed and in a daze all day.
Verdict: A good discipline for general maintenance at this time of year, and a refreshing pick-me-up drink – but unfortunately it didn’t touch the sides of my hangover. 3/10.”
“I love,love, love this product. I drink this every afternoon about 3:00 and it gives me the little pick-me-up I need to make it thru the rest of the day. I don’t get the jitters like I did with energy drinks or caffeine pills. It is 1/2 the price of Walmarts and conveniently delivered to my door.”
“Just take a B complex with C. MUCH cheaper and the same thing. Don’t understand why people pay so much to take vitamins this way. Very strange. Doesn’t anyone read labels?”
Most of those who had negative reviews, compared the tablet to normal multivitamins just that it has additional guarana and this is just one of its brands. They actually prefer purchasing the cheaper multivitamin-mineral supplements.
Some of the most common side effects of Berocca include;
- Less severe – Nausea, stomach upset
- Severe – rash, hives, difficulty in breathing, tingling of the skin
In case of any severe reactions, consult a doctor.
Pepto Bismol Hangover Remedy- Does it work?
Pepto Bismol is bismuth subsalicylate, an antacid. It is indicated for temporary stomach upsets, diarrhea, indigestion, nausea and heartburn. This medication would work to reduce the acidity of the stomach hyperacidity produced by alcohol consumption. It would therefore relieve irritation caused by alcohol.
It would therefore work for the GIT but not for other symptoms involving the central nervous system and muscle fatigue.
Chaser Hangover Pills
Chaser pills were the in-thing when it came to hangover cure. It was largely relied on for its very beneficial ingredients. It had a variety of herbals including nux vomica, lobelia and cinchona.
The main ingredient in the pills was the activated carbon that absorbed the alcohol owing to its large surface area. This prevented people from getting drunk and therefore lessening any hangover symptoms. Its action however worked on a dose-dependent manner. You had to increase your intake of the drug if you knew you were going to drink heavily. Apparently, those who drank fewer bottles benefited better than those who drank many.
The life of Chaser Hangover pills however was cut short in 2012 with no clear reasons and it was no longer recognized as a cure to a hangover.
Sprayology Party Relief
This is one spray that you would be interested to learn about. This pre-booze spray contains an array of ingredients that target virtually each symptom of hangover.
From their website[iv], these are the ingredients and the action of each:
- For upset stomach/nausea – Chelidonium Maj; Thuja Occ; Taraxacum
- For sluggish feeling – avena, capsicum
- For headache and dehydration – Radium Brom, Carbo An, Bryonia
Read these on the label and compare them to the symptom they deal with.
Bytox Patch, Mercy, PreFunc, Charcoal Pill & other over the counter Medication for Hangover
This is a vitamin B complex with 12 organic and natural ingredients. It has a very powerful mix of vitamins and antioxidants. These would at least help treat some of the symptoms of a hangover. Remember, your body loses most of these essential nurients during diuresis or poor GIT absorption of nutrients that will need to be replenished.
Happens to be the least creative of the hangover cures. This is a soda that some people swear by. If a celebrity does so, it becomes a hit and spikes for a period. Its taste is not something you could comply to but its design is off the hook. This is not something worth fighting for; save your money for better tips ad remedies but not such a simple soda.
PreFunc is one interesting formulation with a vast range of herbal ingredients. It has green tea leaf, fumitory plant, long pepper fruit, Indian tinospora stem, Ginger rhizome, Asian ginseng, Milk thistle seed and taurine. Clearly, this formulation should work for a hangover. It contains a complete cocktail of some of the best hangover foods known!
Charcoal Pills for Hangover
This is activated charcoal just as captured in the Chase Hangover Pills. Activated charcoal, apart from its extensive absorptive properties, it fights flatulence too. The absorption of alcohol from the gut may seem simple but its administration should be done by a knowledgeable person or a doctor. Different poisons require different doses and so does alcohol poisoning.
What is the Best Medicine for Hangover?
How should you go about choosing the best (criteria)?
- Don’t go with rumors. Go with what you see and what effect it will have in your body so look up their validity from reliable sources
- Get a cure with more ingredients that are beneficial
- Choose the least complicated tip if you are self-medicating
Which among those discussed above is the best?
The medications mentioned have different ingredients and therefore different mechanisms of action. You should mostly prefer a medication such as PreFunc due to its herbal extracts and its vast sources.
It is wise to seek assistance from a qualified medical personnel for the best advice if need arises.
Recommended Further Reading
- How to get over a Hangover-Remedies to get Rid, Cure, Fix, Prevent Hangovers fast
- Best Food for Hangover, Drinks and other good foods for hangover recovery & Relief
- Hangover Headache-Cure & Relief
Sources & References
[i] The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists