Testimonials flooding the online community show that Monistat, an antifungal product, works for hair growth. In this article, find out what it is, cream ingredients, how it works for hair growth, how to use instructions, black hair, dosage, reviews , before after results pictures and possible side effects
Monistat for Hair Growth-Basics on how it works
- Monistat for Hair Growth-Basics on how it works
- Monistat 7 vs. 3vs. 1 for Hair
- How to use Monistat for Hair Growth-Cream, Recipe & Mix Instructions
- Dosage-How much of Monistat for Hair Growth?
- Monistat for Black Hair Growth
- Monistat for Hair Growth Reviews
- Monistat for Hair Growth Results-Before and After Pictures
- Monistat Side Effects/Safety & Dangers
What is Monistat and what is it made up of?
Monistat is intricately known as Miconazole nitrate. It is an antifungal agent that is indicated for yeast infections such as oral thrushes, tineas, ringworms and angular chelitis. One relative of this drug is ketoconazole reason being they have the same action on dihydrotestosterone (DHT) receptors in the scalp. What is DHT? It is totally a bad hormone when it comes to hair care! In fact, it is the hair-killing hormone responsible for female- and male-pattern hair loss.
What is it exactly made up?
The ingredients of this product include;
Active Ingredient: Miconazole nitrate 2% (100 mg per dose).
Inactive Ingredients: Benzoic acid, BHA, mineral oil, peglicol 5 oleate, pegoxol 7 stearate, purified water.
How does Monistat work for hair?
Yes, it’s really true that Monistat can be an asset in treating alopecia and most importantly increase hair growth. This has been supported by a medical dermatologist at Baylor College of Medicien who theorized that Monistat increases hair growth. The use of Monistat for hair growth is not and clinically evaluated and approved but the treatment is considered relatively safe (Dr. Mir). This is so unless you have a history of sensitive skin.
The basics behind this mystery is prevention of action of deterrents of hair growth such as DHT.
DHT is a hormone that has been known to have receptors in the scalp and therefore the reason behind the pathophysiology of androgenic alopecia. The Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery in an article on ‘Skin Therapy’, ketoconazole has been found to have anti-androgenic properties. The Journal of Dermatology and that of Dermatology Science support this finding too. The presence of these receptors in the scalp allows the killing effect DHT on the hair follicles.
- Monistat, reduces the number of androgen receptors in the scalp hence preventing further binding of DHT to the receptors due to fast saturation. This in turn leads to increased hair growth.
- Monistat also helps regulate the balance ration of scalp flora preventing dysbiosis. Dysbiosis has been evaluated for its ability to cause hair loss and slow the growth of hair.
- Since it is an antifungal, it is effective in seborrheic dermatitis. This type of dermatitis may cause slow hair growth and hair loss. It is therefore useful in treating Malassezia colonization on the scalp. One study reveals findings from 150 men presenting with telogen effluvium to androgenic alopecia associated with dandruff. The DHT suppressing agent in the shampoo used in this study resulted in increased thickness of the hair shaft.
- It also has some anti-inflammatory activity as also seen with 2% ketoconazole. Inflammation results in a breach of the integrity of the dermal papillae of the scalp from which follicles sprout.
Those who have tried using this vaginal cream for hair growth have attested to 2 – 3 weeks improvement duration. It is also an effective mode of administration as it may stick to the scalp for longer durations of up to 3 days. This may however be accompanied by headaches and irritation. If these are felt, consult your doctor.
Monistat 7 vs. 3vs. 1 for Hair
There exists a number of differences between Monistat 1, 3 and 7. The differences rely on the number of days of use and the relative cost. Above all, your compliance and adherence to the medication will also determine whether you will prefer a certain dose to the other.
The number that comes after the word ‘Monistat’ indicated the number of days that you will be on treatment. The yeast infection is therefore expected to be treated by the end of the stated period. Here are there more specific activity.
it is a tioconazole ointment 6.5% as the active medication ingredient. It is more expensive than the rest of the Monistats.
its active ingredient is miconazole nitrate 4%. Patient compliance will improve when convenience is maintained at par.
the active ingredient is miconazole nitrate 2%. It contains 100 mg of miconazole. Take this drug is day to day routine of drug consumption does not bother you.
The best for hair use is Monistat 3. The problem with Monistat is that it has a label that states the infection will be treated by lapse of 7 days. Monistat 3 the prices range from 5 dollars to 17.97. While Monistat 7, ranges from 4 dollars to 13.57.
How to use Monistat for Hair Growth-Cream, Recipe & Mix Instructions
Recipe-Instructions on how to mix and use
Try this method as your first:
- Add a small amount of Monistat in a bowl
- Mix in a few tablespoons of water
- You could decide to pour the mixture in to a bottle that is squeezable
- Divide your hair into 3 – 4 parts then rub onto your palms and into your scalp.
- Continue this process while ensuring that is maximal spreading as you resection your hair.
Try this method if you are considering more ad-ons such as carrier oils.
- Squeeze out one tube of Monistat 7 then mix with a carrier oil.
- Add the mixture to a bottle the squeeze a small amount onto your palms or directly onto the scalp.
- Make sure that you have divided your hair first along the hairline then massage into the scalp.
- Use a comb or an applicator brush to part and again spread the mixture.
For both methods repeat for about 3 consecutive nights first to test if there is an allergy then do it daily. Consistency and resilience will award you with increased length and thickness of the hair.
With the second method, you’ll just squeeze a small amount of Monistat straight from the tube and apply it directly to your scalp. Good carrier oils that you may consider include, coconut oil, jojoba oil, castor oil and olive oil.
Fortunately, Monistat 7 can be used in a mixture of anything that you apply onto your scalp. This means that you can apply it by diluting it with water, diluting it with hair oil or still, undiluted. Ensure that you apply a moisturizer once you are done applying the prepared mixtures since miconazole nitrate is dehydrating. Good thing the carrier oil also prevents dryness.
Dosage-How much of Monistat for Hair Growth?
Dilute the cream to a ratio of 3:1 i.e. three parts of water per 1 part of cream. This will help reduce the irritation that may accompany applying cream directly on your scalp.
How often should you use it?
For maximum benefit on hair, use it 2 – 3 times a week for 35 days.
Monistat for Black Hair Growth
Just like for other hair types, monistat can possibly for black hair. How do you apply or use if you have black hair? The instructions are the same as what you’ve already seen above. One user from Q& A on Blackdoctor.org recommends that you mix 1 tube Miconazole nitrate with a carrier oil i.e. lavender, and rosemary are a few that are known to encourage hair growth, and a cap full of castor oil. Apply a small amount twice daily for best results.
Monistat for Hair Growth Reviews
It is interesting to note how positive the reviews are after using this vaginal antifungal cream in improving the growth of hair. Some attest to seeing a 1/2 an inch increment per month of length and as much as 3 inches afterwards.
With regard to the frequency and how to use, one review mentions using it every third day for 35 days washing your hair normally then applying the solution. Some review states that directly applying the cream to the scalp makes the hair too greasy at the expense of your comfort. This is true as cream may be thick and diluting it may make it suitable for use. Remember, it was not meant for hair use.
“Here’s how I use it: I bought the generic brand from Walgreens (same ingredients and much cheaper)
I had a left over NYX “dewy face” something something face mister that I used up, so I decided to use the spray bottle for the Monistat. I squeeze about a dime size (maybe a bit more) into the spray bottle and then I had warm/hot water to the bottle and shake it up. I do about three parts water per 1 part cream. I then spray it all over my hair. I found that this is the best way to evenly get it all over my scalp. I have tried to just directly apply the cream to my scalp, but it makes my hair way too greasy”.
Many users report faster growth after two to three weeks of use. Some experience headaches as a side effect, which can possibly be due to the cream not being properly diluted, or being used to frequently, as a sufficient amount of the active ingredient is said to remain on the scalp for up to three days.
This product is generally great for hair growth as it rids off bacteria from your scalp. Bacteria may inhibit healthy growth of hair (blacknerd).
Monistat for Hair Growth Results-Before and After Pictures
Basing on testimonials from users on the internet, monistat seems to be a less expensive means to grow your hair. However it is important to be understand that if it worked for someone it is not obvious that it will work for you. Everyone’s body is designed to react to substances not in the same way.
On the other hand, there are dubious individuals/marketers/companies whose aim is to make money regardless of the quality of their product or service. In simple terms, do your research before you decide to use monistat as hair growth remedy.
Here are testimonials on the results including before and after pictures.
Monistat Side Effects/Safety & Dangers
It is important to keep in mind that Monistat is not a hair growth cream and that it may cause side effects. It is also to keep your body in check for abnormalities since it has not been tested in a clinical trial and therefore off-label use side effects have not been determined. These are:
- Tingling/itchy/burning scalp
- Very tender scalp in the area where the Monistat was applied
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Headaches and migraines
- General feeling of discomfort
It is worthwhile noting that girls under the age of 12 should not use this drug. It is also not indicated for use in women on warfarin which is a blood thinner. Do seek appropriate advice from a qualified health professional on this matter before using it.
Sources & References
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18498517
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16997533
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2956962/#CIT37
-  http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=12693&catid=652
-  http://www.xovain.com/hair/monistat-hair-growth-resultas
-  https://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=131697/Monistat-cream/Unlisted-Brand/Hair-Treatments
-  https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B000RETQ04