Mustard for Burns, Heartburn, How it works & why it’s Good
Not many people are aware that they can use mustard for burns, heartburns or sunburns. Hows does this herbal remedy work and what benefits does it offer? Is they yellow mustard the best? Read on to find out steps on how to use it and other ingredients to combine with it
Mustard for Burns-Why is Mustard Good for Burns?
Mustard is one is one of the hardly known remedy for burns. According to Joe, an adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of North Carolina affirms that yellow mustard is very effective against burns that occur from time to time. This is based on the various reviews from those who have used it.
Further, there is evidence from the People’s Pharmacy website that shows the effectiveness of mustard in helping out in the event that you have a burn.
However, not everyone endorses mustard as a home remedy for burns. WebMD’s Rod Moser, PA, PhD does not endorse this remedy especially for sunburns. He calls it a ridiculous method that is not proven to work. He advises that you exercise caution when trying out this methos
How does it work?
There are suggestions that have been put forward that mustard has a compound that is called isothiocyanate, which is a very powerful anti-irritant. It relieves the pain by producing lesser pain. Apart from that, it acts to enlarge blood vessels (vasodilation), hence increasing the blood flow to the underlying tissue.
Benefits of using mustard for burns
There are some other good things that come with the use of mustard for burns. They include:
- It leaves you skin more beautiful after using it for burns. All you have to do is spread a layer of mustard on the affected area. The milder the mustard, the better and therefore, yellow mustard is most preferable. It will give your skin a smoother and healthy glow immediately you rinse it off.
- It provides muscle relaxation. It increases the treatment effects of the salts and thereby giving your muscles some relief from pain.
How is mustard used for burns? is Yellow mustard the best?
How it is used
- First of all, put the affected part into cool running water as this helps to relief the pain immediately and prevent the burn from progressing
- After that, apply a layer of mustard over the area and the pain will completely disappear.
- Ensure that you wrap a bandage loosely to the affected area and then leave it there for some time of about 12 hours
- Wash away any excess mustard gently.
- Carry on with the treatment for several days so as to prevent any scarring and discomfort from occurring
What varieties of mustards are used? Is the yellow variety the best?
There are various types of mustard that have therapeutic value. There are yellow, brown and black mustard. For the sake of burns, yellow is the most preferred remedy .
Does Mustard help Heartburn?-How?
It contains some component of weak acid. Apart from that, it acts as an alkalizing/ neutralizing agent to the acid that is produced during heartburn.
There are other ways in which this herbal remedy plays a role in relieving heartburn. They include:
- It improves digestion because it has minerals like magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, calcium, iron, niacin, and zinc and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Apart from that, it has vinegar that acts as strong stimulant of saliva. This makes the digestion to take place faster without the acid necessarily flowing back to the esophagus.
- It can also help to improve and make the digestive system stronger. The seeds are useful in that they facilitate the flow of acid in the stomach and hence improved digestion in the long run. Further, it helps in the metabolism or break down of fats in the stomach. This goes a long way to improve your appetite.
- It also has the ability to hinder the heartburn from recurring. This is by its ability to balance the acid alkaline pH levels in your body. The more the alkaline your stomach is, the less likely you are likely to have indigestion problems.
The following are some of the ways you can use mustard as a heart burn remedy at home:
There are so many ways that mustard can be prepared to deal with heartburn. The best way however is to take the seeds. The powder can also be used daily to give relief. This is most essential when you are frequently affected by the heartburn. You should take some good amount the powder. You will on the other hand need a pan, a blender or coffee grinder and about 20 tablespoons of mustard seeds to make a remedy. The procedure below would be very useful:
- Warm a pan any source of fire
- Roast the mustard seed on the hot pan for about two minutes but ensure that you don’t overdo it
- Over-roasting it will make it turn dark and taste bitter then lose its healing effects in the long run
- Cool the roasted seeds
- Make powder out of the seeds using a blender or a coffee grinder. Make sure the texture of the ground seeds are smooth
- Ensure that the powder is stored in an airtight container
Take raw mustard with some water.
You will only need some yellow mustard about 2 teaspoons and lukewarm water. The procedure would be:
- Consume natural mustard
- Ensure you don’t chew the mustard
- Take a cup of water after putting the mustard in your mouth
- Relief comes some few minutes after you take the mustard
Use it in diet
- You can first directly take about a teaspoon or two teaspoons of yellow mustard
- alternatively, you could eat some foods that have high content of mustard e.g. sandwiches and hot dogs
Use yellow mustard combined with buttermilk
It is at times so hard to take mustard with plain water and therefore mixing it with buttermilk would be ideal. The procedure below would be useful:
- Make a mixture of about 2 to three teaspoons of mustard and buttermilk in a glass
- Take this to realize relief from heartburn
- Better still, the mustard could be added to one teaspoon of cilantro and asafetida that are chopped and some salt
- this combination will provide a soothing effect to the esophagus which is the food pipe
- further, this combination treats indigestion and helps to prevent scratching the gut wall
Use mustard mixed with honey
This is also an ideal combination where you:
- First combine two teaspoons of yellow mustard and a glass of water that is lukewarm
- To the above mixture, add one teaspoon of honey and mix them well
- Take the mixture right away and on a regular basis.
Prepare and take mustard tea
This works pretty fast to get you off the hook of heartburn. The procedure below would be useful:
- Obtain two glasses of boiled water
- To the above boiled water add one teaspoon of tea leaves and boil for some minutes
- Measure about 2 teaspoons of mustard powder, ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of grated ginger then add to the boiling tea leaves
- Continue boiling the mixture a bit longer then strain
- Add some honey and ensure you take the mixture on a regular basis
Mustard for Sunburns
In the early times, mustard was in fact used to heal sunburns. It was thought to eliminate heat from the affected area.
To use it, simply rub it on the affected area and allow it to dry after which you will remove it with a piece of soft cotton clothe
Safety, Precautions & Side Effects
When you are using mustard as a remedy, you should:
- Not take any other liquid immediately after consumption to avoid washing it away.
- Limit the intake of spicy foods, cut down your weight and do not overuse some medications
- Gaggle some water in your mouth if you don’t like the taste of mustard
- Preferably take the mustard at night with plain warm water before you retire to bed, on an empty stomach in order to witness quick healing
- Only take small meals if at all you have to take food.
The mustard works differently from one person to another. There are some instances where you will get irritation very quickly while at other times the irritation will take time.