What are the Bentonite clay bad effects ? How safe is this clay on your skin, hair, teeth and when taken internally ? Being a medicinal clay, it is easy to overlook the risks and dangers of using it for detox and cleansing as well as for other benefits. Here’s what you should know about the negative effects of Bentonite clay bath and mask.
Calcium Bentonite Clay Side Effects
There is no doubt that calcium Bentonite mud has a long list of benefits and uses. It is used in many ways, both externally and internally. Whether it is Bentonite clay powder or hydrated Bentonite clay that is sometimes applied as a detox and cleansing mask, experts warn that the clay can also have its own side effects on human health.
Some sources indicate that there are no possible side effects of using calcium Bentonite clay, but some sources still claim that the mud may be harmful and risky because it contains traces of other dangerous metals, such as aluminum.
It is the impurities, according to many sources, that render the clay a risky home remedy. But what exactly are these Bentonite clay side effects and dangers? Let us start with the clay’s mask side effects on your hair and skin.
Can you have an allergic reaction to bentonite clay?
If you react to metals then there are chances that you may experience allergic reaction when using this clay. Symptoms of metal allergies include an itchy skin rash, redness and blistering. However, it depends on the type or kind of metal. Check with your doctor if you notice any of the above signs
Effects Skin & Hair
The most common and safe way to use this clay is externally. For this reason, there are Bentonite clay masks that are applied topically onto the skin, as well as uses on the skin. Is bentonite clay safe for skin? What are the side effects of Bentonite clay on hair?
The clay is used for washing and conditioning hair. There are some helpful Bentonite clay hair mask recipes with no side effects of any kind reported for hair. On the other hand, you may experience itchiness on the skin if you react to some metals, or , as mentioned ealier, have an allergy that may actually not indicate the side effects of normal external or topical use of Bentonite clay on skin.
Bentonite Clay Bath Side Effects
Are there any Bentonite clay bath side effects? You have probably heard of a long list of health benefits of calcium Bentonite clay baths and they are definitely too enticing. It is true that the bath can be very healthy for skin detox, cleansing and relaxing the body and joints. But is that all?
There are no reported side effects of preparing and taking a bath in Bentonite clay. Better yet, there are no health risks and drawbacks that have been linked with prolonged external use of Bentonite mud for cleansing the skin. It is therefore recommended that you take regular calcium Bentonite mud baths for skin rejuvenation and as a topical anti-aging remedy.
However, since it is said that aluminum compounds can be found in traces in any sample of calcium Bentonite mud, side effects of aluminum may be felt. “Aluminum compounds, such as aluminum zirconium and aluminum chloride, have estrogen-like properties…there’s concern that aluminum may have the same effect when absorbed through the skin.” The actual dangerous side effect is increasing the breast cancer tissue growth according to the National Cancer Institute.
Bentonite Clay Detox Side Effects
A Bentonite clay detox is touted to be one of the best for cleansing the body system for a clear skin. It also detoxifies the body internally to rid it of internal toxins that may cause quick aging and even blemishes on the skin. So, does a Bentonite clay detox have side effects?
One of the major reasons for using this mud or clay as a detox agent is its ability to draw and react with heavy metals, removing them from the body system. However, in so doing, the clay may cause you intestinal discomfort. You may drink a lot of water to do away with this side effect of drinking Bentonite clay since it will aid pass out the compounds from your system.
In a more summarized way, here are the Bentonite clay detox side effects that you may experience while using it to cleanse your body and rid it of unwanted toxins:
- Headaches are termed as mild Bentonite clay side effects.
- Muscle pain and tiredness
- Joint pain and stiffness, which together with muscle pain, are side effect symptoms of the toxins stored in the joint and muscle fluids being gotten rid of from your body.
These side effects are common in people trying to detoxify externally. If you are trying a detox for the first time using calcium Bentonite clay, you may experience these negative or undesirable effects as more intense than when you will have it for the second and subsequent times.
Bentonite Clay for Internal use -Is it Safe to Ingest?
For cleansing purposes, Bentonite clay is used internally. Drinking hydrated Bentonite clay is one of the best ways to cleanse the body and detoxify it. The clay gets rid of free ions, toxin buildup in the stomach and intestines.
It is also used to cleanse the gut of some bacteria that cause discomforts and illness. So, are there any Bentonite clay cleanse side effects? One of the obvious side effects of drinking Bentonite clay is that it absorbs all the beneficial bacteria as it cleanses the intestines, which is why it is not very good to take a lot of it everyday. Other clay cleanse side effects that have been reported are:
- Nausea after ingesting the calcium clay
- Constipation, especially during the first time of use. The reason for this is that the clay gets stuck in the intestines and causes indigestion problems.
Drinking Hydrated Bentonite Clay Side Effects + Psyllium Husks
Hydrated Bentonite clay has unique characteristics, one of them being its ability to react with water and rise up fast to form a sponge like substance. Since there is water in the gut and in the stomach, you may start to feel side effect changes such as bloating and indigestion or constipation.
Tip: It is advisable to “combine psyllium husks with the clay and increase one’s intake of water.” [Buzzle] This will help prevent most of the side effects such as constipation and nausea, especially when you ingest the clay.
Bentonite Clay Toothpaste Side Effects
Did you know that bentonite can be used as a toothpaste to brush your teeth? It is indeed a toothpaste of its own kind. In terms of side effects, pure bentonite paste comes with little or no side effects. For more details check this article: Bentonite Clay Toothpaste, Recipe & Benefits
More on Clay-Bentonite
- What is Bentonite Clay? Uses & Benefits-Internal, Weight Loss, Skin, Ponds + More
- Bentonite Clay Mask for Face, Acne, Recipes, Reviews Before & After
- Bentonite Clay Detox-Bath, Foot, Recipe, Benefits, Side & Results
- Bentonite Clay for Hair-Mask, 4C, Natural Hair Uses, Recipes, Benefits, Before and After
- Bentonite Clay Capsules-Benefits and Reviews
- Rhassoul Clay vs Bentonite Clay, Properties, Differences &Similarities
- Clay Shampoo-Rhassoul & Bentonite (Clay Hair Wash) + Recipes
- Montmorillonite Clay Benefits, Uses in Cat / Dog Food, Structure & Properties
- Sodium/Calcium Montmorillonite Clay Side Effects –Humans, Cats & Dogs
- Aztec Healing Clay, Uses, Benefits, Side Effects
- Aztec Clay Mask Benefits, Hair, Skin, Recipes, Reviews & Results
- Multani Mitti Hair Growth, Straighten, Removal & Dandruff- Mask or Hair Pack
- Multani Mitti Face Pack for Oily, Dry Skin, Acne & Pimples: Fair Whitened Skin.
- Multani Mitti Benefits, Uses, Side Effects, Cost & Where to Buy (Fullers Earth Clay)
- Rhassoul Clay Benefits, Uses, Side Effects for Hair and Skin
- Rhassoul Clay Soap Benefits and Recipes-How to Make
- Rhassoul Clay Hair Benefits, Mask, Deep Conditioner & Wash
- Rhassoul Clay Mask Benefits for Skin, Face & Recipe
- Kaolin Clay Uses – Skin, Cosmetics, Eating, Hair, Spray & Where to Buy (China Clay)
- Kaolin Clay Mask Benefits for Face, Acne & Oily Skin-Homemade Recipe
- White, Red, Yellow & Pink Kaolin Clays-Benefits & Uses
- Kaolin Clay Skin Benefits, Side Effects, Properties
Other Clays-French Green Clay & Dead Sea Mud
- French Green Clay-Mask, Recipes, Powder, Soap, Benefits, Uses & Side Effects
- Dead Sea Mud- Mask Benefits, Acne, Soap and Reviews.
- Carbonated Bubble Clay Masks – Benefits, Reviews, Side Effects,