Best Home Remedies for Ingrown Hair- Apple Cider Vinegar, Aspirin, Sugaring & Herbal
What are the best home and natural/herbal remedies for ingrown hair? How effective is apple cider vinegar, aspirin, sugaring, Lemon, Peppermint & Fish Oil for Ingrown Hair? Does the Chinese remedy for ingrown hair bump work? Read on to find out.
Remedies for ingrown Hair -Apple Vinegar
- Remedies for ingrown Hair -Apple Vinegar
- Using Aspirin as an Ingrown Hair Home Remedy
- Sugaring for Ingrown Hair Removal
- Natural & Herbal Remedies for Ingrown Hairs-Lemon, Peppermint & Fish Oil for Ingrown Hair
- Other Home & Natural Remedies to get rid of Ingrown Hair,
- Tea Tree Oil
- Aloe vera
- Baking powder
- Chinese Remedy Ingrown Hair
- Tips & Precautions before choosing a Natural Home Remedy for Ingrown Hairs
You can find cheaper means of solving ingrown hair at home. Some home remedies are very effective and efficient such that there is no need to see a dermatologist or go the saloon. Apple cider vinegar is a perfect home remedy for ingrown hair because it possesses anti-inflammatory properties that help to sooth the skin and relieve it from the irritation caused by ingrown hair. It also lowers the risk of infection by destroying the yeast and bacteria that cause infection. It also aids in drying up the skin with ingrown hair and brings the ingrown hair closer to the surface. Below is how to use apple cider vinegar remedy to get rid of ingrown hair.
Here you will need a cotton ball and apple cider vinegar,
- Wet the cotton ball with apple cider vinegar.
- Use it to gently massage the affected are preferably in a circular motion,
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes so that the skin can absorb it.
- Rinse with plain lukewarm water
- Repeat this twice a day for quick results.
Requirements: Apple cider vinegar, sugar, honey, cornstarch and lemon,
- Take 4 tablespoons of sugar, add 5 tablespoons of corn starch then sprinkle 1 table spoon of lemon juice then mix them thoroughly. Add 1 tablespoon of honey to the mixture, mix it and warm it and add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and mix.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture on the affected area.
- Let it sit on for 15-25 minutes
- Rinse it off using warm water. This remedy will leave you skin relieved and will eliminate ingrown hair gradually.
- Take 4 table spoons of apple cider vinegar, add an equal amount of water then mix.
- Use a piece of cloth to press the mixture on the affected area gently. Note that the mixture works excellently when warm so that it can open the pores.
- When the cloth gets cold, dip it to the warm mixture and apply on the skin.
- Repeat this several times then leave it for 1 hour
- Rinse it off using lukewarm water
- Repeat this daily for effective results.
Using Aspirin as an Ingrown Hair Home Remedy
Aspirin contains salicylic acid. This acid helps in exfoliate and remove dead skin cells letting loose the ingrown hair that had been trapped and moisturizes the skin. Apart from aspirin being an exfoliator it also possesses ant inflammatory property that helps eliminate the risk of infection and reduces the swelling and redness, that has been caused by ingrown hair. You can use aspirin as a mask or to cleanse you skin.
Aspirin Tablets to treat razor bumps irritation
- Soak two non-coated aspirin tablets in a half table spoon warm water.
- Let them soak completely then apply the paste on the affected area.
- Leave it for 30 minutes then rinse it off using lukewarm water.
- Repeat this daily to get effective results.
Aspirin Shaving Bump Mask
To make aspirin mask you will need aspirin itself, warm water and honey,
- Drop two aspirin tablets on a half tablespoon of warm water, add a half tablespoon of honey and mix it thoroughly.
- Apply the mask on the affected area.
- Leave it for 1 hour then rinse it off using plain lukewarm water then you pat the skin dry gently.
- Repeat this three times a week.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil warm the mixture preferably by placing the bowl containing the mixture into another bigger bowl with hot water. Crush 3 uncoated aspirin tablet to form a fine powder.
- Add the powder in the mixture and mix it thoroughly to form a mask.
- Apply the mask on the afflicted area and leave it on to dry then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Pat the skin dry gently. Use this mask three times a week and your ingrown hair will disappear gradually.
NOTE: DO NOT use aspirin if you are allergic or have a medical problem that requires you to avoid its use. For any concerns, it is always good to consult a dermatologist or physician before using aspirin as a natural remedy for pseudofolliculitis barbae.
Sugaring for Ingrown Hair Removal
Sugaring is an ancient method of hair removal that was used in the ancient Egypt. It made use of sugar, lemon and water to form a paste that is then warmed to room temperature. The paste is applied in the opposite direction of hair growth then removed towards the direction of hair growth. This eliminates the risk of hair breakage hence minimizing the risk of ingrown hair occurrence. As opposed to waxing, sugaring also adheres to the dead skin cells enabling you to exfoliate. Below are steps on how to use sugaring to help with ingrown hair and shaving bumps.
Ingredients: two cups of sugar, a quarter cup of lemon juice and an eighth cup water.
- Mix the mixture together and pour it into the saucepan. Turn on the heat to high so that it can heat fast.
- Use a stainless steel thermometer to monitor the temperature of the paste. Let the mixture boil to 250 degrees then take the pan off the burner.
- Let it cool to room temperature, this mixture is then ready to be used for sugaring. NOTE: Cleanse the skin and pre-treat it before sugaring. Since sugaring opens up the pores, pre-treating will help lessen the risk of getting in contact with bacteria that cause infection.
Benefits of sugaring as an ingrown hair removal method
- It helps to exfoliate
- Sugaring paste comprises of natural remedies, cheap and eco- friendly
- It helps to eliminate ingrown hair or prevent getting them
- The paste can be used with any skin type
Disadvantages of sugaring
- If the procedure is not performed well it increases the risk of hair breakage and irritation
- It is hectic to make the sugaring paste because you have to heat the mixture to a certain degree. This may be complicated to those who are used to other simple techniques.
- It takes a lot of time and sometime you may need a quick technique since you may not be having a lot of time at your disposal.
Natural & Herbal Remedies for Ingrown Hairs-Lemon, Peppermint & Fish Oil for Ingrown Hair
You don’t need to go to the salon or see your dermatologist or even go for that expensive cream that your friend said it will help you eliminate ingrown hair. You can decide to use natural and herbal techniques that are very efficient in removing the ingrown hair. On top of that they are very cheap and easily available.
Lemon for Ingrown Hair
Lemon is a very good cleansing remedy and can fight bacteria. This property enables it to eliminate the bacteria that may have been caused by ingrown hair as it is a natural astringent. Lemon also helps to draw the ingrown hair out to the surface. Lemon can be used alone or mixed with other remedies.
- Squeeze lemon juice to a bowl. Soak a cotton ball or a piece of cloth with the juice.
- Apply it on the affected area and leave for 20 minutes
- Rinse it off and pat the skin dry. Repeat this daily
- Take 3 teaspoons of oat meal and mix it with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice then add 4 teaspoons of yoghurt and mix it thoroughly
- Apply the concoction on the afflicted area while scrubbing it lightly.
- Leave it to dry the rinse it off with plain warm water.
- Repeat this twice a week for desirable results.
This paste will remove help to the dead skin cells hence allowing your ingrown hair to the surface. Lemon also aids in fading away the spots that are left after the ingrown hair has healed.
Peppermint for Ingrown Hair
Peppermint is an exfoliator and relives the skin irritation, soreness and discomfort that are caused by ingrown hair
- Put 4 teaspoons of salt on the bowl, add 2 teaspoons of peppermint oil then mix
- Use the mixture to gently scrub the affected area
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
Fish oil for ingrown hair
Fish oil also known as omega 3 has been said to help out with ingrown hair issues
Other Home & Natural Remedies to get rid of Ingrown Hair,
There are a number of home remedies that you can use to get rid of ingrown hair and cure razor bumps of shaving burns. These include;
- Tea tree oil
- Aloe Vera
- Baking powder
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil possesses anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties in it. These properties enable it to eliminate skin infections caused by bacteria and preventing further ingrown hair by supporting hair growth from underneath the skin. This makes it to be a suitable remedy for ingrown hair.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil and 3 teaspoons of olive oil
- After cleansing your skin apply the mixture while massaging you skin gently
- Let it settle for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse it off using warm water and repeat this daily for effective results.
Aloe vera has been a skin remedy for a long time for many skin problems. Apart from being good for the skin it is a perfect ingrown hair issues because it facilitates quick healing process, eliminate itch caused by ingrown hair and leaves the skin moisturized.
- Using a knife cut aloe vera and extract the gel from it
- Apply the gel on the affected area after cleansing it
- Leave it for 30 minutes then rinse it off using lukewarm water.
- Repeat this 3 times daily and you will able to see significant change after a week.
Cucumber has anti-inflammatory property that helps in getting rid of irritation, itch and pain cause by ingrown hair. Cucumber also is also great in hydrating the skin and leaving it moisturized.
- Cut cucumber into slices and refrigerate them for 30-45 minutes
- Use the slices to gently massage the affected area
- You can sleep with it overnight
- Repeat this daily
Baking soda is an anti-inflammatory, this enables it to reduce the redness that has been caused by ingrown hair, removes the dead skin, relieves the skin from irritation and pain and sooths the skin.
- Take 1 tablespoon of baking powder and mix it with 1 cup of water
- Use a cotton ball of a piece of cloth to apply the solution on the afflicted area
- Leave it for 10 minutes then rinse it off using lukewarm water
- Repeat this 2 times daily
Honey has been used in many occasions as a remedy for skin ailments one of them being ingrown hair problem. Honey is an anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. These two properties enable it to protect the skin from bacteria, itch that may be caused by skin irritation and reduces the swelling of the skin.
- Apply a layer of honey directly on the affected area
- Leave it on the skin until it is completely dry
- Rinse it off with cold water
- Repeat this procedure 3 times daily
Salt is a good exfoliator and it facilitates ingrown hair to grow from beneath the skin. It also increases blood circulation promotes faster healing and reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Take 2 teaspoons of salt and soak it in a cup of warm water
- Apply the solution on the affected area using a cotton ball or a piece of cloth
- Leave it overnight
- Repeat this daily as long as needed
- Take Epsom salt apply it gently on circular motion after wetting the affected area
- Rinse with warm water after you are done
- Apply moisturizer after patting the skin dry.
- Repeat this 3 times a week
Chinese Remedy Ingrown Hair
The Chinese remedy for ingrown hair involves use of turmeric. According to livestorong, the stem of the plant is used to make a paste that can be applied directly to the skin to reduce inflammation or taken orally for general inflammation relief.
Tips & Precautions before choosing a Natural Home Remedy for Ingrown Hairs
First and foremost you should identify your skin. You should not use any remedy that you are allergic to even though is remove ingrown hair better than any other this because it may react with you skin and cause complications
For the pregnant women your skin becomes very sensitive during this time waxing or sugaring is not advisable.
For those who are shaving, avoid using old blades or razor to avoid ingrown hair occurrence instead use a sharp blade that will allow not repeating where you have already shaved.
You should avoid shaving daily.
Wet the area that you want to shave with warm water before. This will lessen the chances of getting ingrown hair.